Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

College - Is it a priority?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know that we have asked this question in the past,  but I think it needs repeating since we have some new members in here.  

Is College a top priority for your child(ren)?  

What schools are a possibilty?  

undefined

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Replies (11-20):
Precious333
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Thats true. We try and encourage our kids ti do what they are interested it. One of my mentors sais how interest and talent combined should be considered.

Quoting kirbymom:

lol ` The first would be kind of obvious but not so the second one.  Sometimes you are not aware that your abilities are up to standard if you don't try.  :)  

Quoting Precious333:

Anything illegal or immoral.....lol.....or that is unrealistic for their abilities.

Quoting kirbymom:

Are there any jobs or careers that you would steer them away from?  

Quoting Precious333:

My kids are young. It depends on what they want to do, but they will have to get a scholarship or earn money for it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I have told my kids if they choose to go to college to keep going until they earn their Master's or Ph.D.

However, I have also told them that if college is not for them, they need to go and learn a skill that they will be able to use to earn a living and raise a family with.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

And that is also true.  You have some very intelligent friends thta you have surrounded yourself with. THAT is a great thing. :)   I wish more people could/would do that. 

Quoting Precious333:

Thats true. We try and encourage our kids ti do what they are interested it. One of my mentors sais how interest and talent combined should be considered.

Quoting kirbymom:

lol ` The first would be kind of obvious but not so the second one.  Sometimes you are not aware that your abilities are up to standard if you don't try.  :)  

Quoting Precious333:

Anything illegal or immoral.....lol.....or that is unrealistic for their abilities.

Quoting kirbymom:

Are there any jobs or careers that you would steer them away from?  

Quoting Precious333:

My kids are young. It depends on what they want to do, but they will have to get a scholarship or earn money for it.

undefined

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Yes. Exactly!  :)   Learn to be the best at whatever it is you decide to do with your life. :)  

Quoting acrogodess:

I have told my kids if they choose to go to college to keep going until they earn their Master's or Ph.D.

However, I have also told them that if college is not for them, they need to go and learn a skill that they will be able to use to earn a living and raise a family with.

undefined

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not pushing college, I want to leave that to her. I do plan to prepare her for college.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:42 PM
My kids are already aware that work is more difficult if you don't have the appropriate knowledge. They know that daddy reads, researches, and goes to conferences about solar energy. They see me read books about homeschooling and other things I do around the house, but they also know how to use books and websites to learn more about things they are interested in knowing. They know that there are 2 guys that we went to college with that are not very good in their fields. It's funny that they know college can get you what you want, but only if you put in the effort needed to actually learn it.

Quoting kirbymom:

I know where you are coming from. Our only difference is this..We tell our kids that we would like them to go to College but that it is their decision. We talk about what College can do for a career/job.  We even talk about doing Vocational College. The only pointed advice, if you will, that we give them, is that they are not going to settle for just any kind of job just because they want to be lazy and not really work, if they are not going to go to College or go into the military. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

This is hard for me to articulate in our family, but I'll try. I personally don't care if they choose to go to college or not, but we talk about college all the time. Hubby and I met in college, we have lots of friends on facebook and that we visit from our college days, we talk about professors, etc. The kids already talk about when they go away to college as if it is a foregone conclusion, and we don't discourage it.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

That would be because you have very astute children!  DUH!  :)  They are learning that you only get out what you put in. :)   A reap what you sow kind of concept.  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My kids are already aware that work is more difficult if you don't have the appropriate knowledge. They know that daddy reads, researches, and goes to conferences about solar energy. They see me read books about homeschooling and other things I do around the house, but they also know how to use books and websites to learn more about things they are interested in knowing. They know that there are 2 guys that we went to college with that are not very good in their fields. It's funny that they know college can get you what you want, but only if you put in the effort needed to actually learn it.

Quoting kirbymom:

I know where you are coming from. Our only difference is this..We tell our kids that we would like them to go to College but that it is their decision. We talk about what College can do for a career/job.  We even talk about doing Vocational College. The only pointed advice, if you will, that we give them, is that they are not going to settle for just any kind of job just because they want to be lazy and not really work, if they are not going to go to College or go into the military. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

This is hard for me to articulate in our family, but I'll try. I personally don't care if they choose to go to college or not, but we talk about college all the time. Hubby and I met in college, we have lots of friends on facebook and that we visit from our college days, we talk about professors, etc. The kids already talk about when they go away to college as if it is a foregone conclusion, and we don't discourage it.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Actually, I was referring to actual university legacy admissions programs where kids from families whose parent(s) attended that school can have a higher preference than others.

Quoting kirbymom:

I think the legacy comes from the actual vocation itself more than the place where they learned from.  

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

We definitely think college is a big priority for our kids. The things they're interested in doing require a college education, so it's not even a question for them.

They can go anywhere that has a good program for their interests. We will be able to contribute some to their education, but scholarships and non-crippling loans will have to take care of the rest.

DH and I both graduated from non-standard universities, so we're not pushing any legacies.

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Yes, I understood what you meant. I just wasn't clear. I meant it shouldn't be from the place of learning as much as it should be about the individual vocation itself that is picked. The legacy, that is.   Sorry. :(  

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Actually, I was referring to actual university legacy admissions programs where kids from families whose parent(s) attended that school can have a higher preference than others.

Quoting kirbymom:

I think the legacy comes from the actual vocation itself more than the place where they learned from.  

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

We definitely think college is a big priority for our kids. The things they're interested in doing require a college education, so it's not even a question for them.

They can go anywhere that has a good program for their interests. We will be able to contribute some to their education, but scholarships and non-crippling loans will have to take care of the rest.

DH and I both graduated from non-standard universities, so we're not pushing any legacies.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:08 PM

That is a great mind set to have.  :)  Sometimes not very easy to do so though. 

Quoting somuchlove4U:

I'm not pushing college, I want to leave that to her. I do plan to prepare her for college.

undefined

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)