Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

College - Is it a priority?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know that we have asked this question in the past,  but I think it needs repeating since we have some new members in here.  

Is College a top priority for your child(ren)?  

What schools are a possibilty?  

undefined

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Replies (21-30):
illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:09 PM

The only "option" my children have is which university they will attend. College is very important.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:13 PM

For you, is there a difference in College as oppsed to a University?  Or will they be able to choose between them, if you feel there isn't any differences?  

Quoting illinoismommy83:

The only "option" my children have is which university they will attend. College is very important.

undefined

illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:16 PM

A 4 year degree in a useful field. It doesn't matter if its a small Catholic college in the middle of nowhere or a major university. The biggest concern is having a degree so they can have a career.

Quoting kirbymom:

For you, is there a difference in College as oppsed to a University?  Or will they be able to choose between them, if you feel there isn't any differences?  

Quoting illinoismommy83:

SusanTheWriter
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Ah. I get it now. :) No, we're not pushing any vocational legacies, either. They choose what they choose.

Quoting kirbymom:

Yes, I understood what you meant. I just wasn't clear. I meant it shouldn't be from the place of learning as much as it should be about the individual vocation itself that is picked. The legacy, that is.   Sorry. :(  

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Actually, I was referring to actual university legacy admissions programs where kids from families whose parent(s) attended that school can have a higher preference than others.

Quoting kirbymom:

I think the legacy comes from the actual vocation itself more than the place where they learned from.  

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

We definitely think college is a big priority for our kids. The things they're interested in doing require a college education, so it's not even a question for them.

They can go anywhere that has a good program for their interests. We will be able to contribute some to their education, but scholarships and non-crippling loans will have to take care of the rest.

DH and I both graduated from non-standard universities, so we're not pushing any legacies.

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

noraa21
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Right now the only thing we are focusing on is getting my son through junior high, the high school, any time someone even brings up the subject he goes into a fit and refuses to talk about college, so we don't.  The things he wants to do with his life he will need to go to college to do, but right now I don't bring it up as I don't want to turn him off any more than he already is.  He has this really deep hatred of doing anything that remotely resembles school work after 5th grade and we are not sure why. Probably the PS he use to be in.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:22 PM

That would be very useful indeed. Do they have any ideas yet?  

Quoting illinoismommy83:

A 4 year degree in a useful field. It doesn't matter if its a small Catholic college in the middle of nowhere or a major university. The biggest concern is having a degree so they can have a career.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

undefined

illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:26 PM

My oldest wants to be an astro-physicist and discover planets and moons. She also wants to be a bus driver. I'm pushing her towards physics and focusing on math and science. We did a moon gazing cycle tracking project last semester and she became really excited about space.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Those are some awesome aspirations.  Does she show any propensity for astro-physics yet? 

Quoting illinoismommy83:

My oldest wants to be an astro-physicist and discover planets and moons. She also wants to be a bus driver. I'm pushing her towards physics and focusing on math and science. We did a moon gazing cycle tracking project last semester and she became really excited about space.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Yes college is a big priority!!

**You live and you learn**    ladybug

mom2Bellarose
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:45 PM

It's not TOP priority but yes it is up there. I have always talked to my kids as if it was a natural transition from high school. I talk to my 6 y/o about when she goes to college quit often. I wish I had been encouraged growing up. The word college was never even brought up to us. As my kids grow I will not let on like there is any other option. Elementary, high school, college, and they start their life. College is just the next step.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN