Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

College - Is it a priority?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know that we have asked this question in the past,  but I think it needs repeating since we have some new members in here.  

Is College a top priority for your child(ren)?  

What schools are a possibilty?  

undefined

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Replies (31-40):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I like the way you think. Having normal everyday conversations in which its just a natural thought process to the next step in life.  Well put.  :)  

Quoting mom2Bellarose:

It's not TOP priority but yes it is up there. I have always talked to my kids as if it was a natural transition from high school. I talk to my 6 y/o about when she goes to college quit often. I wish I had been encouraged growing up. The word college was never even brought up to us. As my kids grow I will not let on like there is any other option. Elementary, high school, college, and they start their life. College is just the next step.

undefined

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:09 PM

from your profile picture, I am gathering you have 3 daughters. May I ask what their names are?  What do they like or are interested in?  

Quoting SuperMommy408:

Yes college is a big priority!!

undefined

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:12 PM

How cool! My DD is interested in particle and quantum physics. Every time a college sends her a letter, she checks their website to see what their post-grad physics program looks like. :)

Quoting illinoismommy83:

My oldest wants to be an astro-physicist and discover planets and moons. She also wants to be a bus driver. I'm pushing her towards physics and focusing on math and science. We did a moon gazing cycle tracking project last semester and she became really excited about space.

Quoting kirbymom:

That would be very useful indeed. Do they have any ideas yet?  

Quoting illinoismommy83:

A 4 year degree in a useful field. It doesn't matter if its a small Catholic college in the middle of nowhere or a major university. The biggest concern is having a degree so they can have a career.

Quoting kirbymom:

For you, is there a difference in College as oppsed to a University?  Or will they be able to choose between them, if you feel there isn't any differences?  

Quoting illinoismommy83:

The only "option" my children have is which university they will attend. College is very important.

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Holy Wow! This is some heavy learning. I love when our kids and my hubby and I get into some rather indepth discussion on these topics.  Especially my hubby. How do you teach the math factoring behind this?  

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

How cool! My DD is interested in particle and quantum physics. Every time a college sends her a letter, she checks their website to see what their post-grad physics program looks like. :)

Quoting illinoismommy83:

My oldest wants to be an astro-physicist and discover planets and moons. She also wants to be a bus driver. I'm pushing her towards physics and focusing on math and science. We did a moon gazing cycle tracking project last semester and she became really excited about space.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

A 4 year degree in a useful field. It doesn't matter if its a small Catholic college in the middle of nowhere or a major university. The biggest concern is having a degree so they can have a career.

Quoting kirbymom:

For you, is there a difference in College as oppsed to a University?  Or will they be able to choose between them, if you feel there isn't any differences?  

Quoting illinoismommy83:

The only "option" my children have is which university they will attend. College is very important.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:30 PM

LOL. I don't! I swear, the kid seems to absorb it from the air!

She's flying through Alg 2 and she's only had to ask DH (an engineer) for help once. She looks at math and science concepts and goes, "Ok. Got it."

I think she's a changeling. *gg*

Quoting kirbymom:

Holy Wow! This is some heavy learning. I love when our kids and my hubby and I get into some rather indepth discussion on these topics.  Especially my hubby. How do you teach the math factoring behind this?  

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

oredeb
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

not a priority at all! if they wana go fine if not thats fine also!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Ahhhh -- Yes, I know the direction from whence you speak. lol  I have a couple of kids that do the very same thing.  Just stand back and watch in amazement. :)  

They have to be! How else could they *get it* !  hahahahahaha  

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

LOL. I don't! I swear, the kid seems to absorb it from the air!

She's flying through Alg 2 and she's only had to ask DH (an engineer) for help once. She looks at math and science concepts and goes, "Ok. Got it."

I think she's a changeling. *gg*

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:36 PM
She follows the French method mainly

Quoting kirbymom:

That is fantastic!  I find it pretty awesome when children find they want to follow in the steps of their parents vocation/calling. That is history in the making that is.  :)   What types of foods is she focusing on, if I may ask? 

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

I would prefer they seek some form of secondary education. My daughter is 17 and has already gotten 3 acceptance letters to culinary colleges. She is decided on which she wants to attend. We are chefs so this is not a surprise for her to go down this route. Our son is 15 and thinking of doing the same thing but as a pastry chef.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:38 PM

And how different is that from say, American?  Does she prefer French style or taste? Or possibly both?  

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

She follows the French method mainly

Quoting kirbymom:

That is fantastic!  I find it pretty awesome when children find they want to follow in the steps of their parents vocation/calling. That is history in the making that is.  :)   What types of foods is she focusing on, if I may ask? 

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

I would prefer they seek some form of secondary education. My daughter is 17 and has already gotten 3 acceptance letters to culinary colleges. She is decided on which she wants to attend. We are chefs so this is not a surprise for her to go down this route. Our son is 15 and thinking of doing the same thing but as a pastry chef.  

undefined

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:43 PM

ahhh - but yours are already grown and living their lives. Did any of them go to College?  

Quoting oredeb:

not a priority at all! if they wana go fine if not thats fine also!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)