Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

College - Is it a priority?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know that we have asked this question in the past,  but I think it needs repeating since we have some new members in here.  

Is College a top priority for your child(ren)?  

What schools are a possibilty?  

undefined

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Replies (41-50):
oredeb
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:46 PM

what my kids did was get jobs in fields they were interested in as they were growing up, its funny how it works, none of them had any desire to go to college after they got done with homeschooling,

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Yeah, it does work like that sometimes, doesn't it?  I have one that feels that going to college would be torture. Too much of a good thing is not good for you he said. hahaha :)  

Quoting oredeb:

what my kids did was get jobs in fields they were interested in as they were growing up, its funny how it works, none of them had any desire to go to college after they got done with homeschooling,

oredeb
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

nope none of them have, they all have jobs they love, and make good money even!hahahahah

Quoting kirbymom:

ahhh - but yours are already grown and living their lives. Did any of them go to College?  

Quoting oredeb:

not a priority at all! if they wana go fine if not thats fine also!

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:57 PM

French method involves many things that many people I know are not used to. We cook with more cheese, cream, butter, wine, actual duck fat, etc. My family are foodies and have tried anything we can get to sample. My children will gladly eat octopus, snake, alligator, ostrich, duck. They will all eat liver, hearts, kidneys, brains. My 11 year old will tell you that we soak the liver in milk over night to make it taste better. I find French food richer and I prefer the taste. We dabble in many methods. My daughter will be walking into culinary school with a first hand knowledge of many things that most students did not know when I went to school - including me. I am very proud of her and her siblings. They would all make amazing chefs.

Quoting kirbymom:

And how different is that from say, American?  Does she prefer French style or taste? Or possibly both?  

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

She follows the French method mainly

Quoting kirbymom:

That is fantastic!  I find it pretty awesome when children find they want to follow in the steps of their parents vocation/calling. That is history in the making that is.  :)   What types of foods is she focusing on, if I may ask? 

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

I would prefer they seek some form of secondary education. My daughter is 17 and has already gotten 3 acceptance letters to culinary colleges. She is decided on which she wants to attend. We are chefs so this is not a surprise for her to go down this route. Our son is 15 and thinking of doing the same thing but as a pastry chef.  

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:37 PM
I think it is important for my children to have a trade. If it requires college than so be it, but I will not push college. We will be prepared for it though if they do decide to attend.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Mine are still young and don't know what they really want.  They will have to do some form of higher education....we will insist on it.  I don't care if they choose college, a technical school, or an apprenticeship.  They need to learn something that they can take with them into the real world.  Something other than what we are teaching them.

Channell07
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:44 PM
2 moms liked this

It is a priority in our home or at least some sort of schooling that furthers their education.  My DH is an electrician so that type of trade school or apprenticeship is acceptable as well in my eyes.  I want them to be happy with what they do but  It is important to me for them to be able to support themselves.  If they wish to be a stay at home mom/dad/wife/husband whatever when they are older, fine, but I want them to have some way to support themselves if something goes wrong and they don't have anyone to support them

leighp1
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:52 AM

I have two daughters.  One that is already in a high school/college (Collegiate where she will earn her high school diploma and AA degree at the same time) and college is all she can talk about.  She gets excited every time a college sends her mail asking her to come check out their school.  The younger one has no wish to go to college.  She wants to graduate high school and go straight to work.  Both of these are fine with me.  I know a lot of college graduates that are out of work, still trying to pay off their student loans, so in my opinion, college doesn't guarantee a job. I just try to encourage them in whatever their hearts desire is.  That is my job as their mom.

Crowsnest5
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Our oldest son (11th grade) has been called into the ministry. He just started a part-time job this week to start saving. Our second son wants to be a male nurse, there is a local community college near by with an excellent nursing program (a wait to get into the program too). Our two younger ones are still too young to decide. They will have to pay for the bulk of their education unless something drastic changes between now and then as we just make enough (self-employed) to get by in this economy. BUT I know the Lord provides and He can bring it in somehow :)

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I will encourage whatever they want out of life.  You can't force college.  I plan on encouraging my kids to learn a trade before college.  The choice will be all their own.  My boys love math and science so they will probably go to some form of school.  My oldest has just started taking computer science and loves it.  He has a real applitude for it.  My youngest I am unsure of.  We wants to be a chicken farmer.  LOL.  I could see him going to be an artist or farmer.  Perhaps even both.  He also wants to be an inventor as well.  I could see him getting a degree in agriculture.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN