Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

College - Is it a priority?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know that we have asked this question in the past,  but I think it needs repeating since we have some new members in here.  

Is College a top priority for your child(ren)?  

What schools are a possibilty?  

undefined

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Replies (51-60):
RheaF
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly? No, it is not. They do have to have training of some sort, but college is not necessary anymore. DH has a degree in Biology, yet was unemployed for over a year after a lay off. He has since been to trade school and has a new career now. This has happened to many of our friends who went to college, spent thousands of dollars(some up to $80,000), and now cannot actually use their degree. It is really sad. Yet the ones we know who went into a trade, did not go to college, are doing very well. Some went through lay offs when the economy crashes, but were able to find new jobs within a month.

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Right now they are to young to know (well besides the "I want to be a rock star, or doctor or clown or babysitter when I grow up) what they want to be. I don't want them to move away so  I told my husband that he needs to make enough money so they don't have to work! He needs to start a business that they can take over so they have to stay here! We own a construction business but I doubt the girls will take that over one day.

paris2lmp
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't care if they want to go to college or not.  If they choose a profession where they need college training, then they should go.  If they don't then I see no point in forcing the issue. 

My husband was a trust fund baby.  His family preached college as a MUST from the time he was a small child.  He wasn't even allowed a job in high school because he was told he needed to focus on his studies so he could get good grades, so he could go to college.  The end result?  When he graduated highschool, he went straight into college as he was told.  He had unrealistic ideas about what he wanted and expected from college.  He had ZERO work experience.  He changed majors 3-4 times in his first 2 yrs.  By his 3rd yr, he was taking classes like bowling and human sexuality simply so he could say he was a college student.  By the time we got married he was looking at switching schools altogether.  He did.  He dropped out of culinary school after 2 yrs because he decided that wasn't the field he wanted after all.  Then he went to a computer arts school.  By then we had 2 kids and I NEEDED him to be bringing in an income.  He dropped out because he couldn't handle the stress of going to school, working and being a family man.  Now that he has some experience and KNOWS what he would like to do, his trust fund is gone and we can't afford for him to go away to school.

By contrast, I was NEVER pushed.  I worked since I was 15  (8or 9 if you count babysitting),  By the time I graduated highschool, I knew what I wanted, but couldn't afford the schooling yet.  I worked and did some travelling and by the time we were married and my husband was changing schools I managed to get student loans/ scholarships to pay for most of my college.  The little bit I couldn't cover, his family agreed to loan us.  I was in school for 1 yr.  Got my massage license, and have been working in the field for 6 yrs now.  I LOVE what I do. 

Sorry, this got kind of long....oops

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:07 AM

You bring up an interesting point. One of the things we stress while talking about college with our DD is that she's going to have to work. We can't cover the entire cost and while scholarships will help, there will be an amount leftover that she's going to have to work to cover.

In addition, having a job during high school, or at least some volunteer experience, makes for a much more well-rounded and desirable application. It shows that the student is able to manage their time and juggle several responsibilities.

Quoting paris2lmp:

I don't care if they want to go to college or not.  If they choose a profession where they need college training, then they should go.  If they don't then I see no point in forcing the issue. 

My husband was a trust fund baby.  His family preached college as a MUST from the time he was a small child.  He wasn't even allowed a job in high school because he was told he needed to focus on his studies so he could get good grades, so he could go to college.  The end result?  When he graduated highschool, he went straight into college as he was told.  He had unrealistic ideas about what he wanted and expected from college.  He had ZERO work experience.  He changed majors 3-4 times in his first 2 yrs.  By his 3rd yr, he was taking classes like bowling and human sexuality simply so he could say he was a college student.  By the time we got married he was looking at switching schools altogether.  He did.  He dropped out of culinary school after 2 yrs because he decided that wasn't the field he wanted after all.  Then he went to a computer arts school.  By then we had 2 kids and I NEEDED him to be bringing in an income.  He dropped out because he couldn't handle the stress of going to school, working and being a family man.  Now that he has some experience and KNOWS what he would like to do, his trust fund is gone and we can't afford for him to go away to school.

By contrast, I was NEVER pushed.  I worked since I was 15  (8or 9 if you count babysitting),  By the time I graduated highschool, I knew what I wanted, but couldn't afford the schooling yet.  I worked and did some travelling and by the time we were married and my husband was changing schools I managed to get student loans/ scholarships to pay for most of my college.  The little bit I couldn't cover, his family agreed to loan us.  I was in school for 1 yr.  Got my massage license, and have been working in the field for 6 yrs now.  I LOVE what I do. 

Sorry, this got kind of long....oops

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

oredeb
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM

i know what you mean, same thing happen to my son in law hes a pe teacher but no work in that area so he had to do some other training and he sales insurance, and hes still got the student loan to pay off! also same thing happen to a few of his friends, 

also my daughter in  law, went to school to become a teacher/principal, no work, so shes training for vocational law, its a shame when kids go to school and cant use ther degrees and still owe money on student loans

Quoting RheaF:

Honestly? No, it is not. They do have to have training of some sort, but college is not necessary anymore. DH has a degree in Biology, yet was unemployed for over a year after a lay off. He has since been to trade school and has a new career now. This has happened to many of our friends who went to college, spent thousands of dollars(some up to $80,000), and now cannot actually use their degree. It is really sad. Yet the ones we know who went into a trade, did not go to college, are doing very well. Some went through lay offs when the economy crashes, but were able to find new jobs within a month.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM

No, as a family we personally do not encourage it.  If of course they wanted to be a doctor or something like that they would have to do it. Otherwise NO.  Only 2 of our 14 that have graduated went to college and of course as most they did not even use what they went for. lol

Kerseygeek
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Absolutely! College is definitely a priority. I will make sure that they are completely ready for college. However, if they choose something else they are passionate about that doesn't require college that's fine. But if they choose college they will be prepared. You can't go back & fix that later. The time to prepare them is now.
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:38 AM

For us, yes it is. 

elizabooks
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM
i want her to have higher education. No particular school comes to mind, but I would love for her to be a translator or an ancient language scholar.
denmomof3
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I try to encourage college as much as possible.  For me and my husband it is important.  I have a college degree and my husband has a high school diploma so my kids have seen both of us be successful both with and without a degree.  My husband is a hard worker and has his own business but it takes up so much of his time physically.  I work an 8-5 job but I tend to take my job home (mentally) at times even though I know I shouldn't.  Either way, my kids see both sides of it but at least they know the value of hard work and having some type of trade or education. 

My oldest daughter is in graduate school and my youngest daughter wants to be a vetrinarian.  My son on the other hand hates school and states that he isn't going to college.  I am hoping that he will have a change of heart as he gets older, even if I can at least encourage him to get a trade. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)