Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

College - Is it a priority?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know that we have asked this question in the past,  but I think it needs repeating since we have some new members in here.  

Is College a top priority for your child(ren)?  

What schools are a possibilty?  

undefined

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Replies (61-70):
awilliams77
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:05 PM

For a trade, or other life skill to be able to support themselves, or pursue their passion, YES! To be able to say that they have a four year degree, NO! I never completed college, Dh has a Bilble degree that he does not use/need for his current line of work. I work for a major company, carry the family health insurance, and I think I technically make more than he does. So, a degree isn't essential for us.

That said, our oldest dd is 22 and graduating from USC with a BA in Psychology this spring. Next dd is 20 and a licensed massage therapist, and employed. Next dd is 17, a part time nanny, and looking to go into cosmetology when she is old enough. Our son is 13 and interested in medical bio engineering, IT, programming, and the like. He will most likely need some secondary education for those interests.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:46 PM

We haven't started pushing college at all since my kids are pretty young yet. I have been taking online classes, and so has hubby...sorta... He's the type who could care less about college where I am all about continuing learning, and going to college...even trying to achieve 2 master degrees. They hear us talk about it alot, they see me work hard at it. I don't know if it is encouraging or discouraging in a way. They're always bummed when I have classes because "I don't have time to play with them." as they say, which in some aspect is true, but I do set aside time for each of them individually when I do school too.

I would really love for them to go to college. We've been saving already for them. I don't care so much where they go as long as they're smart about where they're going, such as the school supports the field they are trying to pursue. I remember my brother being upset with me because I went to a 2 yr school first that was meant to get crap courses out of the way and all the credits were gauranteed to transfer over to any other university wisconsin system school (we lived in WI at that time). Honestly, I'm glad I went that route because it wasn't until almost 2 years later when I finally figured out what I wanted to do and it didn't take much longer to get my associates degree... 

CorpCityGrl
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Yes it is for us because education itself is important.  Education can open doors and create opportunities for you and in today's world, it's harder and harder to get ahead without one.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Nice! I think our two families would get along famously . We eat everything coming and going too.  My kids love to eat liver, heart and kidneys from chickens, deer, and cow. We cook in a lot of different ways too.  

I would be proud if one of mine were in the same position as your daughter.  :)  You have a right to be proud.  What a great job you are doing, teaching your children to be so diverse.  :)  

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

French method involves many things that many people I know are not used to. We cook with more cheese, cream, butter, wine, actual duck fat, etc. My family are foodies and have tried anything we can get to sample. My children will gladly eat octopus, snake, alligator, ostrich, duck. They will all eat liver, hearts, kidneys, brains. My 11 year old will tell you that we soak the liver in milk over night to make it taste better. I find French food richer and I prefer the taste. We dabble in many methods. My daughter will be walking into culinary school with a first hand knowledge of many things that most students did not know when I went to school - including me. I am very proud of her and her siblings. They would all make amazing chefs.

Quoting kirbymom:

And how different is that from say, American?  Does she prefer French style or taste? Or possibly both?  

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

She follows the French method mainly

Quoting kirbymom:

That is fantastic!  I find it pretty awesome when children find they want to follow in the steps of their parents vocation/calling. That is history in the making that is.  :)   What types of foods is she focusing on, if I may ask? 

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

I would prefer they seek some form of secondary education. My daughter is 17 and has already gotten 3 acceptance letters to culinary colleges. She is decided on which she wants to attend. We are chefs so this is not a surprise for her to go down this route. Our son is 15 and thinking of doing the same thing but as a pastry chef.  

undefined

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Always a good place to come from when making life long decisions.  :)  

Quoting Dawn07:

I think it is important for my children to have a trade. If it requires college than so be it, but I will not push college. We will be prepared for it though if they do decide to attend.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM

May I ask, why something other than what you are teaching them? Just curious is all.  :)  

Quoting coala:

Mine are still young and don't know what they really want.  They will have to do some form of higher education....we will insist on it.  I don't care if they choose college, a technical school, or an apprenticeship.  They need to learn something that they can take with them into the real world.  Something other than what we are teaching them.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

That is my thoughts as well. I have told the kids that they need to be able to not just have any kid of job, but one that will keep them if there is ever any kind of pronblems.   

Quoting Channell07:

It is a priority in our home or at least some sort of schooling that furthers their education.  My DH is an electrician so that type of trade school or apprenticeship is acceptable as well in my eyes.  I want them to be happy with what they do but  It is important to me for them to be able to support themselves.  If they wish to be a stay at home mom/dad/wife/husband whatever when they are older, fine, but I want them to have some way to support themselves if something goes wrong and they don't have anyone to support them

undefined

coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that may have come out wrong.  I just want them to pick something that they may be able to make a living at.  Hopefully it isn't flipping burgers.  Although, I have a cousin that started out flipping burgers as a teenger and by the time she was 22 she was an assistant manager for a major corporation....and by 24 she had her own store and was the youngest store manager in the company.  I just want them to become self sufficient and make a living with something.  They may not necessarily need those skills, but I would like them to have them.

That is a total jumble of words and I hope that makes sense.

Quoting kirbymom:

May I ask, why something other than what you are teaching them? Just curious is all.  :)  

Quoting coala:

Mine are still young and don't know what they really want.  They will have to do some form of higher education....we will insist on it.  I don't care if they choose college, a technical school, or an apprenticeship.  They need to learn something that they can take with them into the real world.  Something other than what we are teaching them.

cjsmom1
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I want to yesit's a must, but it really depends. If he wants a career that requires a degree then I will push hime to go to college to do what he really wants.

I have a BA and need my Masters in order to get a career in my field. I can't afford to go to school and have loans that I can't afford now. I wish I wouldn't have went to college.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I completely understand what you said. I also understand your desire for not flipping burgers.  It's also one i would mot willing choose myself, but when you stop and look at those that have made a success from it, it's kind of hard not to give it a second thought.  

Quoting coala:

I think that may have come out wrong.  I just want them to pick something that they may be able to make a living at.  Hopefully it isn't flipping burgers.  Although, I have a cousin that started out flipping burgers as a teenger and by the time she was 22 she was an assistant manager for a major corporation....and by 24 she had her own store and was the youngest store manager in the company.  I just want them to become self sufficient and make a living with something.  They may not necessarily need those skills, but I would like them to have them.

That is a total jumble of words and I hope that makes sense.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting coala:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)