Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

College - Is it a priority?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know that we have asked this question in the past,  but I think it needs repeating since we have some new members in here.  

Is College a top priority for your child(ren)?  

What schools are a possibilty?  

undefined

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Replies (71-80):
snowangel1979
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM
I wouldn't say It's a given. I do kinda push it, but I can't make them go.
They need a plan though. Maybe It's opening a business, trade school or college,ect.
As long as they're happy we're happy.

If they do go to college, I will pay for the last year. They will have to figure out how to pay for the rest. I saw too many of my friends who stayed in college 6+ years, switched majors, got fluff degrees and just spent it as party time because it was on mom and dad's dime.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4two
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I agree with this even if someone doesn't think one can do it, who are you to shoot them in the foot... I'm going to be turning 30 next month and I'm just now starting to pursue a life long dream to act.. Why, bc my mother said it was never realistic.... I want my kids to put there hearts and souls into everything they do....

Quoting kirbymom:

lol ` The first would be kind of obvious but not so the second one.  Sometimes you are not aware that your abilities are up to standard if you don't try.  :)  

Quoting Precious333:

Anything illegal or immoral.....lol.....or that is unrealistic for their abilities.

Quoting kirbymom:

Are there any jobs or careers that you would steer them away from?  

Quoting Precious333:

My kids are young. It depends on what they want to do, but they will have to get a scholarship or earn money for it.

Mommy4two
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I have no ideas what Grace would want to do or become but this is part of the reason I wanted to pull them from public schooling... When we did her IEP they said if she couldn't pass the FCAT in 3rd grade she would graduate with a special diploma... I told the lady like heck she would , that's not even worth the paper it's written, you might as well have a GED... My ex had this happen and was never even aware til he tried to go to college.. 

My son wants to become a cop he's been saying this since he was 2 :-) 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Hi Mommy4two. :)  Welcome!  

I was treated with much the same forethought with my mom. If not for my hubby, I would never know the real extent of my capabilities. So, I am determined that our children will know and be able to pursue any or all of their capabilities if they so choose. That everything is a learning experience no matter how big or how trivial it may seem.  

Quoting Mommy4two:

I agree with this even if someone doesn't think one can do it, who are you to shoot them in the foot... I'm going to be turning 30 next month and I'm just now starting to pursue a life long dream to act.. Why, bc my mother said it was never realistic.... I want my kids to put there hearts and souls into everything they do....

Quoting kirbymom:

lol ` The first would be kind of obvious but not so the second one.  Sometimes you are not aware that your abilities are up to standard if you don't try.  :)  

Quoting Precious333:

Anything illegal or immoral.....lol.....or that is unrealistic for their abilities.

Quoting kirbymom:

Are there any jobs or careers that you would steer them away from?  

Quoting Precious333:

My kids are young. It depends on what they want to do, but they will have to get a scholarship or earn money for it.

undefined

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM

You know what I am finding out through this post? I am seeing that each person has a different perspective of what priority means to them.   And each one's view, is right, according to how they lay out their plans.  That is amazing to me, that one word can produce so many different views.  

Quoting snowangel1979:

I wouldn't say It's a given. I do kinda push it, but I can't make them go.
They need a plan though. Maybe It's opening a business, trade school or college,ect.
As long as they're happy we're happy.

If they do go to college, I will pay for the last year. They will have to figure out how to pay for the rest. I saw too many of my friends who stayed in college 6+ years, switched majors, got fluff degrees and just spent it as party time because it was on mom and dad's dime.

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:44 PM
I actually have 5 daughters. I only homeschool the 3 youngest and my 2 older daughters are 11th and 12th grade in public school and are doing great. My 11th grader is going to college to be a doctor and my 12th grader is going to college to be a engineer. My 5,7 and 8 yr old don't quite know what they really want to be they say a ballerina and other little cute stuff! !

Quoting kirbymom:

from your profile picture, I am gathering you have 3 daughters. May I ask what their names are?  What do they like or are interested in?  

Quoting SuperMommy408:

Yes college is a big priority!!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I forgot to add their names!!

Tatyanna 18
Kentiria 16
Kendal 8
Taylor 7
Kennedy 5

Quoting SuperMommy408:

I actually have 5 daughters. I only homeschool the 3 youngest and my 2 older daughters are 11th and 12th grade in public school and are doing great. My 11th grader is going to college to be a doctor and my 12th grader is going to college to be a engineer. My 5,7 and 8 yr old don't quite know what they really want to be they say a ballerina and other little cute stuff! !

Quoting kirbymom:

from your profile picture, I am gathering you have 3 daughters. May I ask what their names are?  What do they like or are interested in?  

Quoting SuperMommy408:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Wow.  You have 5 daughters?!   Any boys?   I have 4 girls myself.  :)   

Doctors and Engineers. You must be proud.  :)  To be a ballerina takes a lot of physical stamina.  I couldn't do it. lol   

Quoting SuperMommy408:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting SuperMommy408:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:51 PM

And they are all so beautiful too.  Were the T's and K's done on purpose?  :) 

Quoting SuperMommy408:

I forgot to add their names!!

Tatyanna 18
Kentiria 16
Kendal 8
Taylor 7
Kennedy 5

Quoting SuperMommy408:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting SuperMommy408:

Hippie.Gypsy
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Nope... if DS wants to go to college, he can go. If he don't, he is not expected to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)