Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I feel like I am going to close my eyes and choose

Posted by   + Show Post

I am having the hardest time deciding on a phonics program for my kids next year.  I have been using Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy lessons with ds but he literally skipped ahead into lesson 30-31 in the first week and we basically only read the words he doesn't know and the stories.  I have started DD on it and she is on lesson 8-9 and is seeming to hate it.  She needs a bit more direction than he did so I have been doing the whole program with her and we are both bored to tears.  I've decided to order a program for each of them this year.  DD will be Kinder and DS 1st.  I have been between McRuffy and All about reading since last year when I gave up and decided to try TYCTR in 100.  I find excellent reviews and people who love both but I just can't seem to make a decision! It's driving me nuts! LOL

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
haskins46563
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Not to overwhelm you, but I love Logic of English. It's more expensive, but it covers phonics/reading, spelling, grammar, and dictation which helps for handwriting. My dd6 (1st grade) spent all of her public school kindergarten year reading the three and four letter words she learned how to read in preschool. After less than half of logic of English and she's easily reading chapter books. 

Good luck!  

oredeb
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:06 AM

i vote for "all about reading'!!!!!!hahahahah

Channell07
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Thanks. I have seen the video before, I believe.  I have taught Kindergarten before and was sure to encourage her to pronounce the sounds correctly from the beginning.  She does well.  Like, if I show her CAT she will say /c/ /a/ /t/  like she should  and I will say "what word is it?" and she will say "at" or something like that.  She will leave out a letter.  Or she may just say "/T/" when I ask her the word.  I know she is only 3 but she is DYING to learn to read so we are going to keep heading that direction.  I'm looking at something to start with her in the fall so she will be 4 by then

Quoting romacox:

The game uses static cling letters on the board, so it can teach blends, spelling, vocabulary, root words, prefixes, suffixes and more (4years old through 6th grade) .  But before you spend any money on curriculum check out the following video....it may be all she needs, or she may simply need time to mature in her reading. 

Quoting Channell07:

That's interesting.. DD (3y) is the one that is really going to need the instruction but she already knows all of her upper and lower case letters as well as the sounds.  She's just having some difficulty in moving into blending them together.. I am not sure it would a good fit for her and worth the money if that's all she needs by looking at the review.  Do you?

Quoting romacox:

Have you seen Kathy Duffy's review on Ring Around The Phonics.?

Channell07
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Thanks! Off to look into it now!

Quoting haskins46563:

Not to overwhelm you, but I love Logic of English. It's more expensive, but it covers phonics/reading, spelling, grammar, and dictation which helps for handwriting. My dd6 (1st grade) spent all of her public school kindergarten year reading the three and four letter words she learned how to read in preschool. After less than half of logic of English and she's easily reading chapter books. 

Good luck!  

Channell07
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Thanks! That's kind of the way I am leaning as well because I intend to use All About spelling the following year

Quoting oredeb:

i vote for "all about reading'!!!!!!hahahahah

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Oh my goodness, I just teach it myself.  But, good luck to you.   :) 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

We are an All About Spelling famiy!! LOVE LOVE IT!!

Would highly recommend the All About Reading set which uses teh same manipulatives and has simple, yet fun, lessons. It is geared for kids of all learning styles and has tactile, visual and auditory activities.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Blending is something that can't be taught until certain brain connections are made. DD knew all her letter sounds by her second bday and wanted to read badly. We tried several times to use a program and teach her, but it only frustrated her. Then one day at 4.5, it clicked. The times I was using a phonics program with her, she was more frustrated at not being able to read. It was better during the times I said "we're just going to wait a while" and shelved it for a few months. She still wanted to read, but it wasn't a daily meltdown over not getting it.

We've done explode the code both book and online, reading eggs, hooked on phonics, Bob books, 100 EZ lessons, leapfrog videos, and me just teaching her my own way. Hooked on phonics is what we use now plus she likes to play on reading eggs just for fun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Channell07
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM

This is what I should do.  I mean, I am one semester away from graduating with my Master's degree in Reading Education, after all.  However, I am so overwhelmed right now with Master's classes, schooling the kids, my husband working out of town and us seeing him only twice a month... the list goes on.

Quoting kirbymom:

Oh my goodness, I just teach it myself.  But, good luck to you.   :) 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Great reason to go with All About Reading/Spelling... the lessons are only 15-20 minutes and really well laid out in an easy to follow format.

Quoting Channell07:

This is what I should do.  I mean, I am one semester away from graduating with my Master's degree in Reading Education, after all.  However, I am so overwhelmed right now with Master's classes, schooling the kids, my husband working out of town and us seeing him only twice a month... the list goes on.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN