Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hello Everyone I'm New

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:14 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi everyone, I'm new my name is Rochelle and I'm the Mom of Tristan and Grace... I actually pulled the kids from the public school where we are located due to me having to move back to Florida and I'm refusing to re-admit them even though my ex husband doesn't believe in HSing ... 

Tristan is 9 years old in the 3rd grade but I just don't feel he's up to par for his age, he's pretty good at math but he's very behind when it comes to reading and spelling.

Grace is 6 years old but she's developmentally delayed due to a genetic disorder she has and is the mentality of a 3-4 year old... 

I'm really excited though I feel as though there's SOOO many topics I can explore with the children that even though they're in different learning areas they can both still find learning in what we'll be doing... I plan on doing some curriculum along with some unschooling methods I told my son he doesn't have a choice about learning how to read or doing Math lessons. However, with that being said I asked him for different things he wants to learn about and he said the volcanoes,space,and sharks :-) .... 

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leighp1
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:37 AM

Welcome to Homeschooling!!  Where in Florida are you at?  I am in the panhandle.  Sounds like your boy has some really cool stuff to learn about.  I have a bunch of ebooks that I got from Amazon (free book of the day stuff) and I believe I have some of sharks.  We just haven't looked at them yet.  Good luck with your new adventure.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:11 AM
Hi welcome! I am Nikki, mom to Julia (7), chelsey (3) and Kayla (7 months). I have been homeschooling for two years now and it's the best choice we made!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Welcome Mommy4twe,

I live in Florida, and you will be able to find lots of home educators here, and well connected.  Our Home School Association is Florida Parent Educators Association.  We even have a lobbyist we send to Tallahassee. 

Mommy4two
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I live in Apopka, which is about 20 mins. from Orlando... I'm excited about getting started for the past 2 weeks I've been looking up websites and made a file and been storing anything I remotely like so I can go back to it when I need it :-) .... 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Hi Rochelle! Welcome to the group!

Please make sure that you aren't breaking any laws by homeschooling against their father's wishes. In many/most states, both parents must agree to it, regardless of custody arrangement.

Best of luck in your journey!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Mommy4two
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:15 AM
2 moms liked this

Thank you, and even though later on I may pay the piper for saying this I honestly don't give a da** what his feelings or wishes involve... While normally if a person said that I'd be like dang if the parent was involved but LONG story short we've been separated nearly 4 years, divorced since June and he's never once gone to a school function,conference,taken an active interest in their schooling of any sorts ... Heck, he didn't even know what grade the kids were in or what disorder his own child was diagnosed with "and we were married then"... I know in our divorce it said we are supposed to discuss anything regarding health,religion,and education but I tell ya what it's hard to discuss it with someone who refuses to call his kids or you or for that matter return an email ... Sorry for the rant lol he just makes me want to scream "and not for ice cream lol"... Our divorce was actually kinda stopped when it came to the child visitation section due to legal battle between two counties "he was given supervised visitation for 6 months" and his attorney managed to have it dropped but by doing so it basically gave me full control until it's reactivated.... 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Hi Rochelle! Welcome to the group!

Please make sure that you aren't breaking any laws by homeschooling against their father's wishes. In many/most states, both parents must agree to it, regardless of custody arrangement.

Best of luck in your journey!

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Welcome Rochelle,  Congratulations on beginning to home educate.  I have been at it for 20 years and am down to my last child.  I recommend that you keep some personal records and such to show how your children are doing in order to show they are learning if your ex decides to give you problems.

Mommy4two
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Oh and I forgot to mention I have earned my A.A in Education to become a teacher in college... 

WantedNameTaken
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Welcome, Rochelle!

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:07 PM

That may be helpful if your ex tries to start trouble.  Doesn't make any difference in home education but people that don't understand that may be more willing to  rule in your favor for it in court  :-)

Quoting Mommy4two:

Oh and I forgot to mention I have earned my A.A in Education to become a teacher in college... 

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)