Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

2 different questions Field Trips & Activity Boxes

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:36 AM
  • 23 Replies

I have two different questions for you ladies...

1.) Field Trips-- How often do you do them? What do you consider a field trip? I live near Orlando so I'm going to have SOOO many different opportunities to find things to do, I already know when I start to teach the kids about trains that in the town next to us there is a RR museum.. Never knew this til I started looking up ideas and best part it's FREE!!! I want to put money away and buy annual passes to Disney for all the parks, I kinda feel that I can make a lot of learning opportunities out of that poossibility.... 

I just wasn't sure if it's a smart idea to make a field trip idea with every lesson possible or not???

2.) I've seen these activity boxes which seem really neat such as (i.e Kiwi Crate,Babba Box and Little Passports) ... Does anyone use them or have you ever used them before? 

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM
We love field trips! We do them as often as we can. We have a state park that does all kinds of recycling, plant, and water resource programs for cheap or free. Look into homeschool discounts too! We got free hiking maps and a pass into a local fort at a big discount. We also have just recently joined a coop that got US a discount for a group of museums that more than paid for the group fees.
2. We make our own activity boxes. They can be pretty easy. What age group are you looking for?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kittyfaery
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:36 AM
We have Disneyland passes. One thing I like about them, they are exposed to different times of music. One time we stopped and watched a high school orchestra play and talked about the instruments they were playing. Another time a barber shop quartet was singing and so on. My oldest likes to watch documentaries on Disney and loves to try to figure out how they make everything work. I am sure Disney World would have way more learning opportunities.
Mommy4two
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM

My son is 9 so I thought the Little Passports sounded awesome for him, but my daughter is basically a preschool mentality at this point in time so 3-4 year range.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We love field trips! We do them as often as we can. We have a state park that does all kinds of recycling, plant, and water resource programs for cheap or free. Look into homeschool discounts too! We got free hiking maps and a pass into a local fort at a big discount. We also have just recently joined a coop that got US a discount for a group of museums that more than paid for the group fees.
2. We make our own activity boxes. They can be pretty easy. What age group are you looking for?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM

My 4yo likes to play with blocks, magnets, and connectagons.  A had my older boys (5 and 7) design cool things and then take pictures of them.  The LO uses the pictures to build the designs.  We have a box full of beans and measuring cups and spoons.  Fill a ziploc bag with finger paint and they can draw (practice letter writing).

There are so many things you can do for cheap!   

Quoting Mommy4two:

My son is 9 so I thought the Little Passports sounded awesome for him, but my daughter is basically a preschool mentality at this point in time so 3-4 year range.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Field trips with every lesson would be AWESOME.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:44 PM

That was MY thought too!  ahahaha 

Quoting usmom3:

Field trips with every lesson would be AWESOME.

too_nice_momma
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:13 PM
We live in St. Louis, so we do lots of field trips!! Just to name a few we've gone to the zoo, science center, the arch, and Grant's Farm. We are looking forward to botanical gardens, the magic house, Merrimack Caverns, and much more. We have been able to cover every subject. Once we had a lesson on neighberhoods, how to be a productive member of society, consumer/producer, etc. So we took a ride on the city bus and visited places around the city. It was very rewarding listening to her point out different ways we could help the community.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:32 PM
My goal is 1 field trip per month. We are on a very strict budget so I have to really plan. We really haven't had any school field trips this year but have done several scout outings. They are educational so it's not bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM

We don't do many field trips this time of the year.  I live in the upper midwest and it feels like the arctic tundra right now.  When the weather is good we enjoy our local park/zoo, community theatre, art shows......whatever we can find locally.  Even the farmer's market is a learning trip.  

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM

We just started getting kiwi crates.  We got our first one for Christmas.  I do like how they are open and go.  Super easy for me, I don't have to set much up.  I am not a crafty person so they are perfect for us.  My kids are older than the recommended age, but they really love the crafts.  Fun projects and the stuff is good quality.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)