Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

2 different questions Field Trips & Activity Boxes

Posted by   + Show Post

I have two different questions for you ladies...

1.) Field Trips-- How often do you do them? What do you consider a field trip? I live near Orlando so I'm going to have SOOO many different opportunities to find things to do, I already know when I start to teach the kids about trains that in the town next to us there is a RR museum.. Never knew this til I started looking up ideas and best part it's FREE!!! I want to put money away and buy annual passes to Disney for all the parks, I kinda feel that I can make a lot of learning opportunities out of that poossibility.... 

I just wasn't sure if it's a smart idea to make a field trip idea with every lesson possible or not???

2.) I've seen these activity boxes which seem really neat such as (i.e Kiwi Crate,Babba Box and Little Passports) ... Does anyone use them or have you ever used them before? 

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Replies (11-20):
biomom1437
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:04 PM

hi my name is brenda and i one and a half year old and was thinking about home schooling.  is currently enrolled in early head start it's a great program.  but was wondering i'm on a fixed income and wanted to know where could i find cheap book if i decide to home school.  and i'm not sure what an activity box is and can i make them or do i need to buy them not sure.  HELP!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM

We don't do them with every lesson but we try to get them in whenever possible, especially when they are free!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM

You could make the activity boxes for a lot cheaper than you could buy them.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Head to your library and look at the different homeschooling books there. 8) Ease into the idea and give it a year or two. No one I know has ever regretted homeschooling, even if it was just for a year or so.

Quoting biomom1437:

hi my name is brenda and i one and a half year old and was thinking about home schooling.  is currently enrolled in early head start it's a great program.  but was wondering i'm on a fixed income and wanted to know where could i find cheap book if i decide to home school.  and i'm not sure what an activity box is and can i make them or do i need to buy them not sure.  HELP!

coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:11 PM

We are in Orlando.  We have used Sea World, the Orlando Rep (very inexpensive for the shows), the Orlando Philharmonic, the Zoo has great things, the Science Center does HS classes (the zoo does too).  We are with a group that has organized free classes at the MS store in the Florida Mall (let me know if you are interested and I can get you set up with them), Legoland does HS days....kis are $8 and parents are $25 (they offer this once a month).  You have a ton to do here.  Let me know if you need any more information.

Quoting Mommy4two:

1.) Field Trips-- How often do you do them? What do you consider a field trip? I live near Orlando so I'm going to have SOOO many different opportunities to find things to do, I already know when I start to teach the kids about trains that in the town next to us there is a RR museum.. Never knew this til I started looking up ideas and best part it's FREE!!! I want to put money away and buy annual passes to Disney for all the parks, I kinda feel that I can make a lot of learning opportunities out of that poossibility.... 

I just wasn't sure if it's a smart idea to make a field trip idea with every lesson possible or not???

2.) I've seen these activity boxes which seem really neat such as (i.e Kiwi Crate,Babba Box and Little Passports) ... Does anyone use them or have you ever used them before? 

biomom1437
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:18 PM

hello i still don't understand what an activity box is please explain  thanks

Mommy4two
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:23 PM

babba box, kiwi crate they have different activites in the boxes for a theme for the month and they just seemed really awesome.. I'm interested in Little Passports for they learn about either different countries or the different states... and you're going on an "adventure" 

Quoting biomom1437:

hello i still don't understand what an activity box is please explain  thanks

biomom1437
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM

that sounds really cool

Mommy4two
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Thank you SOOO much sorry I just responded... Haven't had internet for the past week just moved back to Florida and got my net rehooked back up today :-) ... I would love and be appreciative of any information you can give me... I don't know how to find a HS group to attend bc I don't want to do online schooling and cant' seem to figure out how to get everything 100% started... 

Quoting coala:

We are in Orlando.  We have used Sea World, the Orlando Rep (very inexpensive for the shows), the Orlando Philharmonic, the Zoo has great things, the Science Center does HS classes (the zoo does too).  We are with a group that has organized free classes at the MS store in the Florida Mall (let me know if you are interested and I can get you set up with them), Legoland does HS days....kis are $8 and parents are $25 (they offer this once a month).  You have a ton to do here.  Let me know if you need any more information.

Quoting Mommy4two:

oahoah
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

We belong to a field trip co-op and we have field trips once a month that we usually go to. On our own we will try to do a fieldtrip once a month as well but the key word is try.  My plan is to go on more this year though.  I also saw Kiwi Crate and it looks fun but not sure it's worth it to me because I have a pretty large craft supply area just lack the organization of putting something together.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN