Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do You Enjoy Family Road Trips?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:58 AM
  • 9 Replies

5 Reasons Family Road Trips Are the Best Way to Travel

Posted by Ericka Sóuter

road trip

The idea of a big family road trip can be an intimidating thought for a lot of people. But it actually is the ideal way to travel. It may not be as fast as flying, but the benefits are far greater in the end. I remember hitting the road with my mom or my grandparents many times. Nestled in the car for hours, there is no greater way to bond and really get the opportunity to share. Of course, at the time, I didn't realize what fond memories I would later have, but I am so grateful for those moments now. With our schedules so jam-packed, real quality time seems like an impossibility. A road trip is the perfect way to create special moments -- both hilarious and poignant -- no one will forget. Need more convincing? Here are 5 more reasons a road trip is the best way for a family to travel together:

1. Making pit stops. It's important to forget the clock on these trips. If you need to hit a destination at a certain time, build in extra hours for stops at cool spots off the highway, like a random carnival, World's Biggest Ball of Yarn attraction, or an awesome outlet mall. That kind of spontaneity is a delight for everyone in the family.
  2. Really talking to each other. With schedules full of sports practices, working late, and errands, whole family dinners can be a rarity. Here is the chance to really get to know how everyone is doing and what is on their mind.
  3. Sing-alongs. Every road trip needs a soundtrack. You may not want to admit it, but you know that latest Miley Cyrus or Carly Rae Jepsen track really is catchy. This is the perfect opportunity to have some fun and sing along with your kids. Make a CD with 20 or so huge hits and turn the car into one big karaoke party.
  4. Game time. There are so many great road trip games you can play together. Whether it's parents vs. kids or boys vs. girls, a little car competition is so much fun.
  5. Collectibles. When I was growing up, my grandparents collected little souvenir plates from every state they drove through. It may sound a little cheesy, but nearly 30 years later, it makes me smile to look at a plate and recall some funny or sweet detail from that particular journey. You can make a point of picking up a little tschoke from every place you visit.

What other reasons do you love family road trips?

When was the last family road trip you had?

Do you have any road trips planned for this year?

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:24 AM
I learned more on road trips than in whole school years! I learned all about maps, how many miles from here and there, all about rocks and caves and the civil war! I love to make trips!
Mom and dad were great about just picking a direction and heading that way. We stayed in some pretty crappy camp grounds but I seem to remember those times as so much better than the beautiful ones. We've been doing some of the same with my boys and they fight like cats and dogs, but beg to go again the very next weekend! Lol!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I love road trips with my kids.  We've always travelled with them, so they've become really good travellers.  I enjoy showing them things and opening their eyes to different sights and experiences.  Our last big road trip was to Canada a couple of years ago.  We've had a lot of car trouble since then unfortunately, but I'm hoping to do some short trips this summer.

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:48 PM

When it's just me and my girls it's great! But when my husband is included it's not so much fun. He hates traffic, or if the girls fight. He gets annoyed easily when we are driving so you can imagine when we go on vacation and we drive 12 hours!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I love road trips!  To be able to go places that we have never been to, is so fantastic.  For example, there is a tv series called CSI. I have been right where they shoot the film. So every time I hear their opening song, I just smile broadly. There is also the fact that the kids and I learned so much while we traveled.  And I love watching the kids learn. Its so amazing what they soak up.   

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM

We've never done a real road trip yet with our kids, mostly because with the hubby in the army we only have so many days we can get back and see people, so it's all dedicated to getting there and then home to sign back in. When I was growing up, my parents would plan out sights to see along the way. When my brother graduated from Georgia Tech, we drove down from WI, stopping at every Lincoln sight along the way (and many out of the way....). We also stopped at a bunch of caves. That particular trip I had some project for a literature class and all I remember was that we were supposed to write about specific plants that were in this book we were reading. I was able to bring back real branches, leaves, and buds from various plants to add to the little book we had to make and knew about all the plants better than anyone in the class...

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:59 PM
I love to travel with my family I wish we had more resources & time to do it more often.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I love family road trips!  Love that time to spend with my family doing things together.  We are going to South Dakota later this year.  We have had a few small trips.  The year before last we drove to Disneyland, and made a loop through Texas to visit my folkS>  The year before that we took two small trips to Denver.

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:49 AM
We love road trips. The kids learn so much were suppose to be renting a RV and going to the Grand Canyon in June. The kiddos are very excited!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mbrowne1
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Love road trips with the family! You learn so much about each other and about the places you visit. We live in Texas and have been most summers to Michigan to visit with family but also have traveled to California and Florida. Thinking about going next summer to Maine. I love the quirky stops that we find and those turn out to be some of our best memories of the trip. Haven't done a CD with songs for the trip but we often listen to long series of books  - our favorite is the Narnia series. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)