Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is Appropriate for this Age?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM
  • 10 Replies

I would love to get some flash cards or something like that for my almost 2 year old.  Anyone know what brand is good, or if I could start on numbers, or letters already?

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM

When my little guy was 2 we played with the leap frog magnets instead of flash cards, but he was already "brainwashed" on the leap frog videos and knew his letter sounds and most of their names. I would ask which letter makes "this" sound and he'd hand me the letter while saying the sound. Or ask what does this letter say, show him a letter and he'd say the sound. We put them in ABC order singing the ABCs too. I didn't really do anything with numbers with him since at that point he was more interested in letters... 

In all honesty, neither of my kids were a fan of flash cards so as to what brand is good...I have no idea. I have tons of flash cards that were given to us with the best of intentions, but have never been used, or only used on road trips...

mmccrea
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM

So the Leap Frog products really helped your kids get an edge on learning?  I've always wondered how efficient those products were.  What Leap Frog products did you all use other than the magnets and the videos?

Quoting No_Difference:

When my little guy was 2 we played with the leap frog magnets instead of flash cards, but he was already "brainwashed" on the leap frog videos and knew his letter sounds and most of their names. I would ask which letter makes "this" sound and he'd hand me the letter while saying the sound. Or ask what does this letter say, show him a letter and he'd say the sound. We put them in ABC order singing the ABCs too. I didn't really do anything with numbers with him since at that point he was more interested in letters... 

In all honesty, neither of my kids were a fan of flash cards so as to what brand is good...I have no idea. I have tons of flash cards that were given to us with the best of intentions, but have never been used, or only used on road trips...

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:54 PM

From the time Little Guy was 3 months old the only thing "on" when was awake and in the living room with us was the Leap Frog Letter Factory. At a yr old, we changed it to the Talk Words Factory. We had the magnets for my then 5 yr old already. She could have cared less about the videos and magnets, but he LOVED them. We've watched the Getting Ready For School (or something like that) and he learned counting to 20...didn't care about the rest of the video lol, and we watched the Story book one...I can't remember what its called, and he knows what a period and commas are now.  But honestly, the Letter Factory was by the far the best one for him since he learned the sounds so early. We've been working on reading for awhile now, but after he hit two, he wasn't interested in letters for awhile and we moved onto numbers. Just this year (and he's 3 going on 4 in April) he became interested in reading again and he's really taking off... 
We have the leap pad which he got for Christmas and loves the games on there. We had the Didj and an Leapster LMax that both kids have loved to the point that they no longer work lol.  He had Scout, the leapfrog laptop which focused on letters, and the phone which has helped with his numbers.  They kept his interest for awhile...but it never lasts lol. He got more with learning numbers and patterns on his Buzz Lightyear phone since there are actual games on that and you have to find numbers.
I never tried the Tag system. My brother has that with his kids, and has supposidly helped them with reading... The only time I've used flash cards really is just recently to help with reading. We use the letter cards to make words and we sound out the word.

Quoting mmccrea:

So the Leap Frog products really helped your kids get an edge on learning?  I've always wondered how efficient those products were.  What Leap Frog products did you all use other than the magnets and the videos?

Quoting No_Difference:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
kittyfaery
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:00 PM
I love the leap frog products too. My 2 year old has a Scout puppy that he loves. We have the leap pad, watch the videos on Netflix and have some scout apps on the ipad. My two year old was pointing letters out at the park and I was really surprised what he knew. One thing that really helped my middle son with the alphabet was making letters from play dough.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RatherBeReading
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Last few times I have been there, Target has had Leapfrog flash cards and stuff in the Dollar Spot. I second the Leapfrog stuff, and my youngest learned most of her alphabet and sounds from the show Super Why. I didn't even know she had learned them, lol...she surprised me by pointing out the letter "K" at the bank one day and I went through them with her and she already knew over half of them.

Also, if you want to sit with them and play, the website www.starfall.com has great stuff for letters, sounds and learning to read for when they are a little older.

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM

When my oldest was 2 she knew her numbers and letters. It was really neat. It came easy to her though. We always sang the alphabet and the numbers. I never bought any flash cards we just got a pad of paper and would write them. So she was able to recognize them and write them. 

mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:54 PM

DD is 2 and we do flash cards on the iPad and she also has a Leapster Explorer with a couple of games. She learned her colors and shapes first, she has known how to count and say her ABCs for probably a year now but we are just now working on knowing what they look like. The flash card app we use has letters, numbers, colors, and shapes but also has a lot of other objects and words they should know. Also anytime she shows interest in something, I try to teach her a little bit about it. For example, she kept pointing out the colors at stop lights, and so we taught her what each color means. 

CafeMom Tickers
JTE11
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:04 PM

You can get flashcards of pictures or words paired with the picture to build vocabulary, shapes, colors, also cards with letters, numbers, and cards with children or animals doing things so you can work on verbs ("What is the boy doing?"  "Running."  That kind of thing). If you don't want to go out and buy card sets you can just cut up magazines and put pictures, numbers, shapes and letters onto card stock. If you really want to get serious you can then laminate them. I got some great Sesame Street  flash cards at the Family Dollar but they were flimsy so I just laminated them and I don't have to worry about them getting destroyed now. You don't have to spend much money to get or make some good cards. Good luck :)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:18 PM

You can do flashcards or make some yourself from those small white recipe cards. As long as you are talking about them and singing them and pointing them out as often as possible, she will learn them.  You can try out all sorts of different ways to teach them to her. She will let you know which ones she likes best. Just watch her expressions and attitudes. That will show you what she likes and how she likes learning.  You can even use her toys to spell out the letters or make the numbers. As much fun as you make this for her, she will learn and enjoy learning, to that degree.   :)   Try looking in your local stores for flashcards and activity books that have the alphbet and the numbers. She might love coloring and drawing them in this manner.   Good Luck!  :)  

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Flash cards at the dollar tree store would be a good start.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)