Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I have homeschooled my kids from the beginning.  Chrissy is now in 5th grade and Jamie is in 3rd grade. I love homeschooling them.  Yes!  Sometimes things get loud and yes, sometimes, I have to lay down the law.  But, that's natural, right?  

Now, my husband works nights and sleeps during the day...the same time we homeschool.

Today, on his way out the door to work, he informs me that he will be stopping by the parish school board to find out what it would take to enroll the kids in school for the 2013-2014 school year.  That shocked me!!! This is first time he has ever said anything about not homeschooling the kids through graduation.  The thought of putting them in school makes me sick to my stomach.  He says it's not the noise during the day, but , that he wants them to start learning to get along with other children.  

What makes him think our kids don't get along with other children???  They have friends here in the neighborhood, at church and they even get along well with meeting new people.  

Everything in my being is crying "put your foot down and say NO!!"  The kids say that they don't want to go to school. My daughter even says she WILL NOT GO!!  

I just don't know what to do....

Help!!!

bad

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Replies (21-27):
homeschoolx3
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Put your foot down and make clear that the answer is NO....period! I'm an conteniualy  amazed at how many people think that pubilc school help socialize children, newsflash they dont.

oredeb
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:49 PM

hi cajin, when you both sit down and talk it out im sure you'll both come to a decision, either to hs them or put them in the school, what ever the decision we are here for you

cajunniki90
by Niki on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband and I finally had time to have a good talk about this.  His main concern is their learning to handle adversity (or as the kids say it, "Bullying!")  And, on that point, I agree, they do need work in that area.  So, we have come up with a compromise.  We will find out more about in enrolling them for next year.  If we can swing it financially, and it looks like we can, we will enroll them.  Then, at Christmastime, we will reaccess the situation, for both children, and make a dicision about the next school year.  If things are just not working out, I get to homeschool them again.  Besides, this way, they willl know what public school is really like.  

It's gonna break my heart to let them go, but, if this IS what is best for them, I will just have to "suck it up"!!

Right now, we have work to do for this year!  Time to tackle some Bible currculum!!

Thanks for all the support!  You guys are the greatest!

group hug

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:58 PM

That will be pricey, maybe you can use that to your advantage in yoru debate with DH...  look into area homeschool groups.

For example, I belong to a group for $20 yearly.....

They do field trips, graduations, proms, smaller cluster group meetings, home school expos, etc...

PLUS, they have other classes... ours offers for our younger grades...   art, choir, drama, band, p.e. etc... (we live in a bigger area)...  then as they get older, there is something called the learning center (on top of these other things the younger kids do)... and they get classes offered by other parents that might be retired teachers... or just experienced in whatever... anything from cooking, to trigonomitry, to spanish, to robotics, etc...

Each of the classes sometimes cost, and supplies cost, but nothing like private school costs.

For example, mine each play a sport (usually about $150 total or less per season)

Mine participate in Choir ($25.00 monthly for BOTH not each of my older two.)

They go on field trips and such... those vary in price and depends if we can afford them or not.

They do church events including Junior Bible Quiz, where they practice during sunday school and then every month go on a trip on a Saturday and compete with other kids in other churches...  plus Wednesday clubs, etc...

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Some kids can handle the bullying.   My older two started in public school, and my eldest struggled hard socially.  That's mostly why we homeschool now, because at 7 years old she was seriously talking about wanting to not be alive anymore and to go to heaven ("right now instead of waiting until I'm old")...

We didn't want her to become a suicide statistic by the age of 13...  so we pulled her and taught her at home.

She still is socially awkward, but I think it's her personality.   At least now she isn't being attacked every day for her differences.   She still has to confront her differences at all our events we are involved in and at church and stuff... but at least she isn't forced to have them rubbed in her face 75% of her waking hours.

Since then, she has become a lot more confident and some of her issues have been "outgrown."   She is a lot happier and at peace with herself.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Bullying is a big reason that I wanted my children home.  Your children will learn to handle situations just by being around people in general.  Homeschool support groups may be a good idea for you.  Our job as parents is to protect our children and to prepare them for adulthood. 

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:16 PM

sounds like you need a long heart to heart bout this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN