Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What subject are you ......

Posted by   + Show Post

concentrating on right now in your schooling time?  Is it Math? English?  Art?  

What are the highlights you are teaching?  How in depth do you make your lessons?  

undefined

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:42 PM

With Missie it is Math and for Cole it is still reading with a good dose of Math.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM

How old did you say she was?  She sounds normal to me. :)  

Quoting Boobah:

She loves math, especially with the Waldorf style (so far). She is fairly good at it, but other times not so much.

Quoting kirbymom:

Do yours like learning math?  How difficult is it for you?  I have a few easy ones but I also have 1 that sometimes seems to not ever be able to get it.  

Quoting Boobah:

We just started our math block

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Holy Macaroly! A year??!  :)   You are one dedicated mommy, that is for sure.  lol

Quoting No_Difference:

with my oldest:  we're working on the middle ages in history (we'll be building a castle soon out of the endless supply of cardboard I've been saving specificially for this project for a year FINALLY! lol), multiplication in math, and we're half way through our physics chunk. I think our main focus for the month is going to turn out to be history. Lots of fun projects are scheduled for this month it seems and we're ahead in everything else :)
with my youngest: we're working on counting, writing numbers, and learning to read.  Math takes him seconds and told me, "It's so easy a Kindergartener can do this!" (he's 3!!! lol) We're taking reading slow. It's always fun seeing him sit down when we're done with his reading "school time" and him trying to make his own words to sound out.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol Yes...a year... My garage looks like a mini recycling facility. I have counted up how much of every recycables we need for just about every project planned and added at least 3 extras for the bound to happen mistakes...but I was guessing in the dark with cardboard. I have a hazzard sign on the door in the house going to the garage along with a note that you might not return beyond this point lol. Going to the chest freezer in the garage is an adventure all on its own that takes almost a day in advanced planning so you know EXACTLY what you're getting, complete with life line back to the door... It's so sad lol.

Quoting kirbymom:

Holy Macaroly! A year??!  :)   You are one dedicated mommy, that is for sure.  lol

Quoting No_Difference:

with my oldest:  we're working on the middle ages in history (we'll be building a castle soon out of the endless supply of cardboard I've been saving specificially for this project for a year FINALLY! lol), multiplication in math, and we're half way through our physics chunk. I think our main focus for the month is going to turn out to be history. Lots of fun projects are scheduled for this month it seems and we're ahead in everything else :)
with my youngest: we're working on counting, writing numbers, and learning to read.  Math takes him seconds and told me, "It's so easy a Kindergartener can do this!" (he's 3!!! lol) We're taking reading slow. It's always fun seeing him sit down when we're done with his reading "school time" and him trying to make his own words to sound out.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Lol ~  Those are the fun moments in life. That is the stuff that memories are made of!  One day when your kids are adults, they start reminiscing and asking you, hey mom, do you remember how the garage used to be?   LOL   That is one of the best reasons to be homeschooling. :) 

Quoting No_Difference:

Lol Yes...a year... My garage looks like a mini recycling facility. I have counted up how much of every recycables we need for just about every project planned and added at least 3 extras for the bound to happen mistakes...but I was guessing in the dark with cardboard. I have a hazzard sign on the door in the house going to the garage along with a note that you might not return beyond this point lol. Going to the chest freezer in the garage is an adventure all on its own that takes almost a day in advanced planning so you know EXACTLY what you're getting, complete with life line back to the door... It's so sad lol.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting No_Difference:

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:58 PM

We do every subject everyday but I've notice that we do more in math, reading, spelling for some reason. My girls have work books but I have extra work sheets for them in those subjects. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Hi blueyedbaker.  :)  

Do yo think the reason you do more in those subjects is because you have extra work sheets?  

Quoting blueyedbaker:

We do every subject everyday but I've notice that we do more in math, reading, spelling for some reason. My girls have work books but I have extra work sheets for them in those subjects. 

undefined

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM

We are currently focused on phonics and reading, and handwriting.  Those are the things he struggles with most.  We are using Horizons for phonics, reading all kinds of books for practice and using Abeka for handwriting.  All the other stuff we have decided to take a "unschooled" or child-led approach. 

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I'm not sure.  I think that the work books they have in those subject don't have enough work on each area so I'm always finding more for them to do. My 10 year old does not like math at all so I am always giving her more to do for practice. She is a whiz in all the other subjects. Also I think I give them extra because I'm afraid they will forget something. I hate moving on to the next "chapter" and then there isn't any review until weeks or months later. That's where the work sheets come in. They are always working on something they learned the week before (and before, and before...). Does that make sense?

Quoting kirbymom:

Hi blueyedbaker.  :)  

Do yo think the reason you do more in those subjects is because you have extra work sheets?  

Quoting blueyedbaker:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Sounds like you have things under control there at your house.  :)  

Quoting rsrangel:

We are currently focused on phonics and reading, and handwriting.  Those are the things he struggles with most.  We are using Horizons for phonics, reading all kinds of books for practice and using Abeka for handwriting.  All the other stuff we have decided to take a "unschooled" or child-led approach. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)