Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What subject are you ......

Posted by   + Show Post

concentrating on right now in your schooling time?  Is it Math? English?  Art?  

What are the highlights you are teaching?  How in depth do you make your lessons?  

undefined

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Replies (21-30):
blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I've always wondered how people are able to un-school. With my district I have to give them all the material I will be using. With un-schooling how are you able to do that? 

Quoting rsrangel:

We are currently focused on phonics and reading, and handwriting.  Those are the things he struggles with most.  We are using Horizons for phonics, reading all kinds of books for practice and using Abeka for handwriting.  All the other stuff we have decided to take a "unschooled" or child-led approach. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:28 PM

You betchya!  I do that all the time. I have a review going on all the time while there is the regular work to do as well. It all gets combined.  

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I'm not sure.  I think that the work books they have in those subject don't have enough work on each area so I'm always finding more for them to do. My 10 year old does not like math at all so I am always giving her more to do for practice. She is a whiz in all the other subjects. Also I think I give them extra because I'm afraid they will forget something. I hate moving on to the next "chapter" and then there isn't any review until weeks or months later. That's where the work sheets come in. They are always working on something they learned the week before (and before, and before...). Does that make sense?

Quoting kirbymom:

Hi blueyedbaker.  :)  

Do yo think the reason you do more in those subjects is because you have extra work sheets?  

Quoting blueyedbaker:

We do every subject everyday but I've notice that we do more in math, reading, spelling for some reason. My girls have work books but I have extra work sheets for them in those subjects. 

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Good.  I feel like there isn't enough review in any of these books, and she seems to forget math very easily. She really doesn't seem to notice that it's extra. I like the work sheets better than the work books. I can make them double sided and she doesn't complain but with the work books she seems to feel like it'll never end she says she does to much in the work books.

Quoting kirbymom:

You betchya!  I do that all the time. I have a review going on all the time while there is the regular work to do as well. It all gets combined.  

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I'm not sure.  I think that the work books they have in those subject don't have enough work on each area so I'm always finding more for them to do. My 10 year old does not like math at all so I am always giving her more to do for practice. She is a whiz in all the other subjects. Also I think I give them extra because I'm afraid they will forget something. I hate moving on to the next "chapter" and then there isn't any review until weeks or months later. That's where the work sheets come in. They are always working on something they learned the week before (and before, and before...). Does that make sense?

Quoting kirbymom:

Do yo think the reason you do more in those subjects is because you have extra work sheets?  

Quoting blueyedbaker:

We do every subject everyday but I've notice that we do more in math, reading, spelling for some reason. My girls have work books but I have extra work sheets for them in those subjects. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Then if that is the case, why not slow just a bit on the workbooks just a tad and do a few more worksheets in place of what you are not doing in the workbooks. It all works out in the end. I used to use our workbooks more until the kids told me how boring they were. So, I started doing worksheets and writing my own math problems based on what the workbooks were showing as  math problems.  I bet you could do the same thing.  :) 

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Good.  I feel like there isn't enough review in any of these books, and she seems to forget math very easily. She really doesn't seem to notice that it's extra. I like the work sheets better than the work books. I can make them double sided and she doesn't complain but with the work books she seems to feel like it'll never end she says she does to much in the work books.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I've thought about not using the work books. I get nervous for some reason. I feel that they should finish them. But really who cares if they finish them or not as long as they are doing the work. I just have to remind myself that I guess. They are actually almost finished with their spelling, and phonics work books. It is easier using the work books for me because then I don't have to guess what I need them to do, I don't have to search to see what's next I just don't want to miss anything.

Quoting kirbymom:

Then if that is the case, why not slow just a bit on the workbooks just a tad and do a few more worksheets in place of what you are not doing in the workbooks. It all works out in the end. I used to use our workbooks more until the kids told me how boring they were. So, I started doing worksheets and writing my own math problems based on what the workbooks were showing as  math problems.  I bet you could do the same thing.  :) 

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Well, if you use the workbooks as a guid of what to write down as math problems, then you are assuring yourself that you are still following along.  Use the workbooks as an example and then come up with the problems yourself.  I used to feel the same way way back when I first started. Being nervous is a normal emotion to have in regards to homeschooling. It's another way of learning to boost our confidence levels.  :)  

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I've thought about not using the work books. I get nervous for some reason. I feel that they should finish them. But really who cares if they finish them or not as long as they are doing the work. I just have to remind myself that I guess. They are actually almost finished with their spelling, and phonics work books. It is easier using the work books for me because then I don't have to guess what I need them to do, I don't have to search to see what's next I just don't want to miss anything.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I would love to not have to buy the work books next year. How would I do that then? I need some kind of guide for all the subjects. Oh wait I keep forgetting about the post about the worldbook.com that has the "typical course of study". I need to print it out for both my girls so I have it on hand. That will make it easier for me I think.

Quoting kirbymom:

Well, if you use the workbooks as a guid of what to write down as math problems, then you are assuring yourself that you are still following along.  Use the workbooks as an example and then come up with the problems yourself.  I used to feel the same way way back when I first started. Being nervous is a normal emotion to have in regards to homeschooling. It's another way of learning to boost our confidence levels.  :)  

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:26 AM

She is 7 and a half.  :)

Quoting kirbymom:

How old did you say she was?  She sounds normal to me. :)  

Quoting Boobah:

She loves math, especially with the Waldorf style (so far). She is fairly good at it, but other times not so much.

Quoting kirbymom:

Do yours like learning math?  How difficult is it for you?  I have a few easy ones but I also have 1 that sometimes seems to not ever be able to get it.  

Quoting Boobah:

We just started our math block

bether89
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM

In history, we are studying the Great Depression.  In math, division and measurements.  Ds is writing a tall tale in English.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM
We are happily moving along in most of our subjects, but both the kids are zooming through their math and very engrossed in our science right now.
We are studying sea creatures in science, starting a unit on Seals and sea cows this week. Just finished up whales.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)