Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

history?

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM
  • 8 Replies
What age/grade to you start teaching history?

I had originally purchased a history curriculum for my kiddos. They are 5 and 7. I like the program but I am concerned it is a little over their heads.
We already do a lot of Magic Tree House books and fall down the rabbit holes that produces. We also read a lot of other read aloud chapter books. A lot of them are classics. Then we look into whatever interests us.
I am really considering just shelving the actual history curriculum for a couple years and keeping up with what we have been doing. I may even start trying to turn the books into unit studies as well.

I really like the history curriculum we chose, but I just don't think they are ready for it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I plan to start with prehistory next year in Kindergarten; moving into the beginning of world history in first grade.

With my eldest (now 11), she attended brick and mortar during the lower elementary years and they didn't do history per se - they did "social studies". She started history immediately when she came home at the end of grade 4 (beginning world history) and that moved into fifth grade. We are doing American history this year (grade 6) and will be doing middle ages to modern times (world history) next year in grade 7.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mbrowne1
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:20 AM

My kids started history in 1st grade. From grades first through fifth, we did more of an overview of each of the time periods, what happened when and how it affected the world and now that my son is in sixth, he is going back and looking at it more in depth. The basic facts he still remembers so he does have the time to look into more details without worrying about the basics. We use Veritas Press for history which studies history in a chronological manner. 

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM

We officially started a history curriculum in 1st grade, but never stick with it.  I've found that we like it much better when we fall down those rabbit holes you were talking about!  May I ask what curriculum you planned to use?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM

We just toss History in with an unschooler type attitude, for the most part. 8) It works for us.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Mystery of History is what I purchased. I really really like the program and how it is laid out. If anything we will just keep doing what we are doing and then use MOH when they kids get older. :)

Quoting rsrangel:

We officially started a history curriculum in 1st grade, but never stick with it.  I've found that we like it much better when we fall down those rabbit holes you were talking about!  May I ask what curriculum you planned to use?

QueenCreole313
by Julia on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM
I've designed my own history course. We will go backwards from present day to the past. I think young children learn better that way. At least mine does.
BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I am doing a very basic history overview with my K this year, but his retention with it is not great because he is not interested. I keep plugging away but am not sure if I will finish it up.

I am thinking of using Story of the World with the Activity Guide next year for him, and his slightly younger sister, and seeing how it goes.

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Does it have an activity guide with it? We have Story of the World and the activity guide. Its pretty good.

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Mystery of History is what I purchased. I really really like the program and how it is laid out. If anything we will just keep doing what we are doing and then use MOH when they kids get older. :)

Quoting rsrangel:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)