Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

hi.. my intro.

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:59 AM
  • 9 Replies

We are not new to homeschooling...  DD 6 (who has severe food allergies) had a horrible teacher in public K when she started who refused to make all activites inclusive and keep her safe... so I pulled her ( I don't give second chances with her life) and we homeschooled for 2 months and then she got into a wonderful private school which to this day we are thrilled with.

But I still want to homeschool her.... with a second child starting school in the fall it will be costly and while we love the school and will make the sacrifice... I still want to homeschool them.

DD has gone downhill in the last year and we are now awaiting an appointment to confirm ADHD (inattentive).  She was great at math, used to love it and is now struggling (not her teacher's fault as they are trying all they can to help her) but her reading is at 3rd grade nearly 4th grade level.

My husband agreed to homeschool last year because he saw it as a short term solution.  His fear is socialization (which is funny because she hates being around people for the most part) and how will she get into college.  I know she can still get into college LOL.

Another reason (kind of selfish) is that I like to visit my home country each year and we cannot take extensive time to travel with the kids in school and are forced to go during summer vacation which is the middle of winter for where we go - miserable!!!  Homeschooling would give us that flexiblility to spend quality time with my family and to still be educated.

but my question... is if anyone has experience with Seascape private school or Christa Mcauliffe Science and math academy?  I am after a secular education with adding in religion how I want. 

thanks, looking forward to meeting people.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:53 AM

I am not familiar with either, but did find this discussion about  Seascape Private School

and this discussion about  Christa McAuliffe Science And Math Academy

Many people start out with curriculums that mirror the public schools, but soon start supplementing, and eventually abandon them when they discover that to home educators, "the whole world is their class room.  "

kiwimom74
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM

thanks... we did our own thing last year which worked out fine.... I am just wondering in my process of putting "my case" together to present to DH again whether I start with this.  I know that he would want to see what my back up plan was "incase" it didn't work...

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Welcome!

I love the flexability of homeschooling. 8)

I haven't used either of those two curriculums.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:48 AM

We are you from, just out of curiousity?

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Welcome to the group. I don't think it is selfish to want to travel to see your family anytime you want to & not be restricted by a school system.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Hi kiwimom! Welcome to the group.  :) 

I am not familiar with either program. I write our own from beginning to end.  And you can tell your hubby that homeschooled kids can get into college. I had one that got into the Children's Writing Institute and their adult sister, at 14 and they told us that homeschooling is a great way to educate children. :)  

kiwimom74
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Thank you.

I am from New Zealand....

I have a few friends that homeschool for one reason or another and write their own curriculums..... I am not opposed to that but I need DH to support this or it will not work.

oredeb
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM

ive not heard of them but heres a forum where they discuss the seascape one  http://www.homeschool.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5824&title=seascape-users  (scroll down)

another for the other one  http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/forums/1/thread.aspx?id=108592 (not a very good review) now that i look at the site  http://www.personalizededucation.org/schools/sas/     i have heard of this, its in my state and not very far from me!hahahahaha  but they did a write up of it in something and it sounded good to me!

kiwimom74
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM

thanks...

it is hard when there are not many reviews on either.. I am going to keep looking, something will come along that suits us and that I feel great about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)