Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT: What Do You Think of This Resturants "Well Behaved Child" Policy?

Restaurant Gives Parents Discount for 'Well-Behaved Kids' & Sets Dangerous Precedent

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans

restaurant receiptAs any parent knows, eating out in a restaurant with children can be a bit of a dicey game. Sometimes your kids are angels, and other times you just want to crawl under the table ... if it wasn't such a horrific mess from all the food they'd thrown down there. But what if your bill depended on how well-behaved your children were?

A Reddit user recently posted a picture of a receipt from an Italian restaurant in Washington named Sogno Di Vino with a title "If only all restaurants did this for people with kids ..." On it there was a $4 discount for "well-behaved kids". A sweet gesture, and I bet those parents were pretty proud.

But the whole thing makes me kind of nervous.

Can you imagine if you were charged more for those times when your children aren't quite so good (as plenty of commenters suggested should be standard)? Or if the next time you didn't get a discount?

Eating out with children is already filled with plenty of pressure for parents. Every raised voice, every dropped spoon can make a mom feel like all eyes in the joint are searing into her. And yes, sometimes children are out of control and should be removed from a restaurant. No one deserves for their meal to be interrupted by kids gone wild, but there also needs to be a certain amount of tolerance for families dining out without parents feeling like they're being judged even more. Most children just aren't going to be seen and not heard, and as long as mom and dad are making sure they're not heard too loudly, they deserve a little bit of  a break. Having a random waitress decide what "well-behaved" is could be all sorts of problematic. I also can't imagine that restaurants really want to get into a battle over the bill with "those" parents who always deny their precious little ones ever do anything wrong.

Would it be nice to be rewarded when the planets align and you all make it through dinner delightfully? Absolutely. But I'm not sure it's worth the price you'd pay for the days when your kids act more ... like kids.

Would you welcome a policy in which your restaurant bill was adjusted according to your children's behavior?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Replies (11-14):
cjsmom1
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:35 PM
I don't know how I feel about it. I hate going out to eat and there are loud kids, kids running around, or the kid sitting behind me keeps grabbing my hair.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I also think we need to understand that there are so many kids with autism who can't always help their behaviors.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elizabooks
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Instead of a cash discount what if they offered you (the parent) a free side of fruit or an ice team for the child in question? Would that make a difference?
We have had that happen a few times.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:55 AM

If we can get discounts for being a good driver why can't we for having well behaved kids.  Kids that do not behave in restaurants affects their business.  They can lose customers very easily.  They are merely providing an incentive.  Restaurants have every right to give whomever they wish a discount.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN