Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

turning costco into school day?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM
  • 6 Replies
I have preschoolers, and I need some fresh ideas for turning the grocery into a school day. We just got home from their swimming lesson, and I know they're bored with my letter/number scavenger hunts lol. So, any cool ideas that will allow me to get my groceries and squeeze in a little school too?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Not sure at the preschool level for Costco - but DD and I make it a lunch trip..hehe...

You could go do the round of the sample tables and have them point out letters or numberes on the boxes?

JuicyRedTomato
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM

How about counting the items in the cart, pointing out letters on products, using critical thinking skills to organize the cart, talking about the different kinds of jobs involved to run the company, ask the cashier what he/she does and why, money in exchange for products, estimate how much things might cost, choosing healthy foods, etc.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh you could make them their own grocery list (like a scavenger hunt list with pictures) & have them help you find what you need at the store.

See if the store has a map layout of the store on the website & print it out & they could be your navigators through the store.

Do you have camera they can use? You could have them take pictures of things to make an alphabet collage from the store.

You could play a game of What Food Group am I in? & ask them to tell you the food group for everything you buy!

I hope some of this is helpful.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Ohhh! These are perfect!  Got your thinking cap on don't you?! lol  

Quoting usmom3:

Oh you could make them their own grocery list (like a scavenger hunt list with pictures) & have them help you find what you need at the store.

See if the store has a map layout of the store on the website & print it out & they could be your navigators through the store.

Do you have camera they can use? You could have them take pictures of things to make an alphabet collage from the store.

You could play a game of What Food Group am I in? & ask them to tell you the food group for everything you buy!

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I was just telling my oldest that I wish I had been this creative when my younger 2 where littler.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting usmom3:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Lol  -- I know just what your talking about! 

Quoting usmom3:

I was just telling my oldest that I wish I had been this creative when my younger 2 where littler.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting usmom3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)