Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Twins

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

Is anyone here homeschooling twins? My sons are 5 and this year we are doing our own thing for Kindergarten, as the school does not require any information or paperwork until first grade. They will be going into first grade in September and I need to get the paperwork done. Anyways, I was thinking of getting them a curriculum, which one I'm not sure, but I have seen some with workbooks. If you have twins, do your purchase everything in double or just one thing for them to share? Thanks!

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

You might be able to buy two sets of workbooks and just one teacher's guide. Or if you order them early enough, rip the workbooks apart and copy them, then put them in binders. I know many moms who have multiple children, not just multiples, do it this way to keep costs down. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Hi HippieMomma.  :) 

I write all of our curriculum. We buy used books from the library or from flea markets or yard sales or even local stores that are getting rid of some of their stock.  I also use websites and will hand copy or print whichever I find the most convenient at the time.  

You really don't have to buy a whole lot for kindergarten.  I guess it really depends on what you want to do.  

oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:28 AM

hi hippy!

i dont have twins but do teach some of my kids in the same books, and i dont buy extras if i can help it, sometimes its cheaper to buy the extra workbook, and some times theres that old copy right law!!

but if i can copy i copy off the book and make it into a workbook and let the child decorate the outside so they'll have their own workbook also!

HippieMomma86
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Thanks for the replies! I will most likely do the suggested and try to copy a workbook. I have looked on eBay for things so maybe I can find extras if I need any.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I have Irish twins, does that count? :)

I buy double of consumables like workbooks, just because it's easier and usually cheaper. If a 200 page workbook costs me $10, that's only 5 cents a page. I can't print things on my home printer for less than that (plus the time and energy it'd take me has value). So usually it's cheaper to just buy extra.

Now, some workbooks where you don't draw/write on every single page, I might buy just one. Like our health book. Many pages are teacher instructions, with about 1 of every 4 pages being consumable for the child. So for that, I just make a copy at home of the page we are using. 

crzy4crm
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:17 AM
I have twin boys that are 8. They're on different levels. One is a sponge and can read anything. The other has dyslexia and has yet to learn how to read. So, we have totally different curriculum for both on reading. But, in other subjects I buy one teacher's book and a set of workbooks for each child.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)