Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Adjectives and Adverbs

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

My son seems to have trouble grasping the concepts of adjectives and adverbs- I'm questioning if it's even really important that he be able to diagram a sentence or if it's just more important that he understand how to use descriptive words while writing.  Does anyone have any good creative writing assignment ideas I could use to help him see the importance of descriptive words in writing?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Hi gacgbaker! long time no see!  Missed you around here.  :)  

Have you tried using a comic book as a background list of how to write with descricptive words?  You can also use the figurative speech as a way to help learn descriptive words. Here is a link you might find useful....

http://www.speechlanguage-resources.com/figurative-language-worksheets.html

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Mad libs?

gacgbaker
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kirbymom:

Have you tried using a comic book as a background list of how to write with descricptive words?  You can also use the figurative speech as a way to help learn descriptive words. Here is a link you might find useful....

Thanks for the link, I'm going to check it out!  Missed you guys too!  Life has been non-stop going it feels, lol!

We had to rush to Colorado last week as my grandmother took ill and wasn't going to make it.  We drove all night and made it in time to say goodbye, so greatful for that- but it has been one thing after another like that keeping me away!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:57 PM
2 moms liked this

The best way to understand descriptions is to read A LOT of descriptions. 

But have him describe summer, a vacation, his favorite place, the family pet.  But tell him to make sure that he uses all 5 senses.  So he needs to describe how each thing smells, tastes, etc.  It makes them really think about how descriptions put you in the location.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Quoting gacgbaker:

Quoting kirbymom:

Thanks for the link, I'm going to check it out!  Missed you guys too!  Life has been non-stop going it feels, lol!

We had to rush to Colorado last week as my grandmother took ill and wasn't going to make it.  We drove all night and made it in time to say goodbye, so greatful for that- but it has been one thing after another like that keeping me away!

Well, God knows how much you guys can handle!  :) I am glad you got to say goodbye to your grandmother. Was she able to meet her great-granddaughter?  How is your little sweetpea? She coming along? 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Great idea!  Maybe even use colored pencils to write with for each of the senses?  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

But have him describe summer, a vacation, his favorite place, the family pet.  But tell him to make sure that he uses all 5 senses.  So he needs to describe how each thing smells, tastes, etc.  It makes them really think about how descriptions put you in the location.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I love mad libs as a learning tool!

Quoting mem82:

Mad libs?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

That's a great idea!  especially if he's a visual learner!

Quoting kirbymom:

Great idea!  Maybe even use colored pencils to write with for each of the senses?  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

That is what I was thinking too. lol   

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes I have to keep my radical ideas a but low as most people would think I am crazier than I really am! ahahahaha

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)