Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My son seems to have trouble grasping the concepts of adjectives and adverbs- I'm questioning if it's even really important that he be able to diagram a sentence or if it's just more important that he understand how to use descriptive words while writing.  Does anyone have any good creative writing assignment ideas I could use to help him see the importance of descriptive words in writing?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Replies (11-20):
coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM

We did something like this in the cracker barrel kids menu.  I then remembered doing Mad Libs as a kid.  Do they still make them?

Quoting usmom3:

I love mad libs as a learning tool!

Quoting mem82:

Mad libs?

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Yes they do, I saw some at the Dollar Tree the last time I was there.

Quoting coala:

We did something like this in the cracker barrel kids menu.  I then remembered doing Mad Libs as a kid.  Do they still make them?

Quoting usmom3:

I love mad libs as a learning tool!

Quoting mem82:

Mad libs?

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this

We "unpack our adjectives" from the School House Rock video lol.
I had my duaghter create a monster but she could only use her words, and I would draw it out  and add things as she explained her monster (including smells!!)  As I drew out her monster, she wrote down all her descriptive words on another sheet of paper (to the best of her ability at that point). Everyday she wanted to add or change something about her monster until it was just "perfect" and it became a fun project for a week or two. When it came to the smells tho, she had to stick with it...I wasn't starting over so her garbage smelling monster could smell like roses lol.

TroyboysMom
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:56 AM

The Basher Books are awesome for this - DS loves them! They explain everything in ways kids just get. What about them specifically is he having trouble with?

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:08 AM
1 mom liked this
We did made games out of it. Like games tell what something looks like school house rock for adverds and adj. Walk around the house telling house the something looks for the first couples it was oral so they understand and i can understand if they needed help on something. We used youtube music stayed with my son for a long time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Show; Don't Tell!  Secrets of Writing by Josephine Nobisso is an AWESOME explanation of describing things.  It doesn't break it down into sentence diagrams, but it goes through how to describe something and why it's so important to do it well.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I really did not even notice the diagramming sentences part there.  I have taught hundreds of kids, about 5 of them really needed to learn how to diagram sentences in order to learn the parts of speech ( a very small percentage).  These were the kids who were very analytical, bordering on OCD.  They really understood algorithms, patterns, lists.  They typically became engineers (although not all engineers had that quirk) or heavily into math (accounting, etc).  If your son has that tendancy then it might be worth your while to teach diagramming, other than that, no you really don't need to teach diagramming.

gacgbaker
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting gacgbaker:

Quoting kirbymom:

Hi gacgbaker! long time no see!  Missed you around here.  :)  

Have you tried using a comic book as a background list of how to write with descricptive words?  You can also use the figurative speech as a way to help learn descriptive words. Here is a link you might find useful....

http://www.speechlanguage-resources.com/figurative-language-worksheets.html

Thanks for the link, I'm going to check it out!  Missed you guys too!  Life has been non-stop going it feels, lol!

We had to rush to Colorado last week as my grandmother took ill and wasn't going to make it.  We drove all night and made it in time to say goodbye, so greatful for that- but it has been one thing after another like that keeping me away!

Well, God knows how much you guys can handle!  :) I am glad you got to say goodbye to your grandmother. Was she able to meet her great-granddaughter?  How is your little sweetpea? She coming along? 

We were not able to bring the baby in to see her because there was some risk of infection for the baby- but we kept snapping pictures and brought in our mobile devices to her and showed her video and pics- she was so happy to see it all.  Her smile just got bigger and bigger with each one.  My three year old was so cute and kept saying she had a great great grandma with white hair.  I tried to tell her it was just great grandma, but she said no, mom, she is just really great.  It was really sweet.

Little one is doing really well- she recovered really nicely from her surgery and we don't anticipate any other issues- she is such a happy baby!

gacgbaker
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting No_Difference:

We "unpack our adjectives" from the School House Rock video lol.
I had my duaghter create a monster but she could only use her words, and I would draw it out  and add things as she explained her monster (including smells!!)  As I drew out her monster, she wrote down all her descriptive words on another sheet of paper (to the best of her ability at that point). Everyday she wanted to add or change something about her monster until it was just "perfect" and it became a fun project for a week or two. When it came to the smells tho, she had to stick with it...I wasn't starting over so her garbage smelling monster could smell like roses lol.

Love this idea, thanks!

gacgbaker
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Quoting hwblyf:

Show; Don't Tell!  Secrets of Writing by Josephine Nobisso is an AWESOME explanation of describing things.  It doesn't break it down into sentence diagrams, but it goes through how to describe something and why it's so important to do it well.

Looks like a great book- I put it on my Amazon Wish List- thank you for the suggestion!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)