Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My son seems to have trouble grasping the concepts of adjectives and adverbs- I'm questioning if it's even really important that he be able to diagram a sentence or if it's just more important that he understand how to use descriptive words while writing.  Does anyone have any good creative writing assignment ideas I could use to help him see the importance of descriptive words in writing?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Replies (21-22):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

That is quite an awesome idea! I think I shall use this one very soon.  lol  

Quoting No_Difference:

We "unpack our adjectives" from the School House Rock video lol.
I had my duaghter create a monster but she could only use her words, and I would draw it out  and add things as she explained her monster (including smells!!)  As I drew out her monster, she wrote down all her descriptive words on another sheet of paper (to the best of her ability at that point). Everyday she wanted to add or change something about her monster until it was just "perfect" and it became a fun project for a week or two. When it came to the smells tho, she had to stick with it...I wasn't starting over so her garbage smelling monster could smell like roses lol.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

We played madlibs like crazy as well as another game called "I have, Who has"... I got it off scholastic, and it's just a set of cards and like three or four different categories...

We also write descriptions in our journal a lot.    We also started Rod & Staff English with them a couple years ago and haven't looked at another english program since.   For my analytical daughter, it has been a gold mine.   My son is doing well with it, too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN