Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Poll: How often do you teach Science & Social Studies?

Poll

Question: How many days per week do you teach Science & Social Studies?

Options:

5+

Huh?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 33

View Results

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Social studies every day. We use Sonlight so there's a ton of history, geography, anthropology.

Science, specifically, once a week. We do a whole unit in one day, learning, reading, diagraming, experimenting. We usually make posters on subtopics, hang them in our school room, and talk about them other days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM

We cover some science and social studies once a week formally (and I use that term loosely) and informally on other days.  Ds is 11 and in 6th grade.  Once a week we read a chapter or section from the "spine" books we have, and do mapwork, activities, narrations, experiments, etc.  We don't spend more than 30-45 minutes on it and I keep it light and fun.  A couple of days throughout the month we may also watch a documentary or go on a field trip or something like that.  

I realize after 8 years of homeschooling, that science and social studies are best learned via the child's interests.  You can pour tons of facts into them, but they will remember next to nothing unless they want to.  

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:15 AM

We don't do social studies, but we do science and history every day with Friday being lab days (and saturday being a test day on the chapter)

haskins46563
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Science -3

geography -2

history -5

bether89
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:58 AM

We do science 3 days a week and history every day.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Usually science and social studies are not a top priority but this year these two subjects are already off and running. We have done more this year with  both if these subjects than normal.  However, there is always at least a discussion of both subjects every week. 

nikki0522
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Two days a week for each.

denmomof3
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:34 PM

4-5 days per week of each.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM

We cover science and some form of history, government, geography, etc... every day.

Sometimes it's as simple as watching something on the history channel, or an educational video from the library... other times we pull apart a book and a topic... other times they just do whatever time4learning.com has up for them to do... other times it's spending time free "book boxing" on a subject...  other times it's a project.

amirah827
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM
I teach it daily in Homeschool that's my daughters FAVORITE Subject!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)