Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Talk me out of (or into) Sonlight

Posted by   + Show Post
Everything keeps coming back to Sonlight Core A for next year. The kids will be 5 and 6 and I want to be able to combine them in some subjects. Sonlight seems the best way... We would skip the LA because we like our own, though. But there are so many bad reviews out there. What are your thoughts or experiences?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
gacgbaker
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I am debating this one mysef, so thank you so much for posting this!

gacgbaker
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Quoting swim-mom72:

What aspects of Sonlight do you like? What parts of it do you think your kids will like?

We have used it, but not at that young of an age. And I ask because there are a few programs that are similar to Sonlight, but less intensive. IMO, using Sonlight "can" lead to homeschool burnout because it is A LOT of reading and many moms feel like they need to try and stick to the very heavy schedule within each core.

There are many great aspects to Sonlight, but maybe you could find those things in another, less rigid, program.

Do you know if a lot of the reading is independent reading (my two kids are 10 and 7, the others are preschool age, toddler, and baby, so they can't read yet.  The other two do love to read)?   

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:35 PM

We are looking at the Core E, adding hands on things my daughter would like to do.  My daughter does best when she can read and then discuss what she reads.  I like that it's already planned out and I don't HAVE to plan it.  I have to plan everything else around it.

Quoting swim-mom72:

What aspects of Sonlight do you like? What parts of it do you think your kids will like?

We have used it, but not at that young of an age. And I ask because there are a few programs that are similar to Sonlight, but less intensive. IMO, using Sonlight "can" lead to homeschool burnout because it is A LOT of reading and many moms feel like they need to try and stick to the very heavy schedule within each core.

There are many great aspects to Sonlight, but maybe you could find those things in another, less rigid, program.

lifesadream83
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I love Sonlight.  I do alot of work to secularize it though.  This is our first year using it and I will continue with it through core F at least.  We are using B+C and I think you would be suprised with how little reading there is each day.  The read alouds gradually get longer as the student gets older and their attention span increases.  It brought my daughter and I closer together using it.  The only other curriculum that has tempted me away from it is moving beyond the page and that is because the LA is better and all the subject except for math are interwoven with each other.  

swim-mom72
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

The reading list is split in 2 pretty equal lists, one that are meant as read-alouds and another for independant reading. The time consuming part, IMO, is that these lists are intended to be done simultaneously. This is in addition to the history reference books, science reading and "other." So, what I would do before each school year began, is buy the readers sperately, and only purchase some of them. I would pour over the descriptions of each book and decide for myself which ones I felt like we could work in and would be most beneficial to teach of my kids. Also, I had to stop scheduling the independant reading as part of their daily work, it ate up too much time. The books were still required, but could be done on the weekend, before bedtime, or during any spare time.

Eventually, we left Sonlight and just used their reading lists. I joined a couple of yahoo groups where most of all of the reading questions and narrtion prompts could be found. This was great because that was the main thing I loved about the Sonlight Teacher's guide. So, there are many ways to still incorporate many of the aspects of Sonlight that you love into your school year, without actually purchasing Sonlight : )

Quoting gacgbaker:

Quoting swim-mom72:

Do you know if a lot of the reading is independent reading (my two kids are 10 and 7, the others are preschool age, toddler, and baby, so they can't read yet.  The other two do love to read)?   

swim-mom72
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:33 PM

So glad Sonlight is working out for you!

There are other programs that have dailly guides, along with many other elements of Sonlight, as well as tons of hands on activities. Have you looked into Winter's Promise? It is pretty expensive, but is a superior product to Sonlight when it comes to the daily schedule. And then KONOS is full of hands on activities, and would be a great choice for any family that likes the unit study approach, which is similar to Sonlight.

Quoting Silverkitty:

We are looking at the Core E, adding hands on things my daughter would like to do.  My daughter does best when she can read and then discuss what she reads.  I like that it's already planned out and I don't HAVE to plan it.  I have to plan everything else around it.

Quoting swim-mom72:

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I look at Winter's Promise, but I never know what to get.

Quoting swim-mom72:

There are other programs that have dailly guides, along with many other elements of Sonlight, as well as tons of hands on activities. Have you looked into Winter's Promise? It is pretty expensive, but is a superior product to Sonlight when it comes to the daily schedule. And then KONOS is full of hands on activities, and would be a great choice for any family that likes the unit study approach, which is similar to Sonlight.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:11 PM
If I could afford Sonlight I would buy it in a heartbeat! :)
I frequently drool over it when I am deciding hat to get each year. It is a wonderful, wonderful program! Anyone I have ever talked to who used it have absolutely loved it. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:16 PM
We used WP I'm Ready to Learn and did not like it. At all.

Quoting swim-mom72:

Quoting Silverkitty:

Quoting swim-mom72:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)