Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Talk me out of (or into) Sonlight

Posted by   + Show Post
Everything keeps coming back to Sonlight Core A for next year. The kids will be 5 and 6 and I want to be able to combine them in some subjects. Sonlight seems the best way... We would skip the LA because we like our own, though. But there are so many bad reviews out there. What are your thoughts or experiences?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Replies (21-30):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:40 PM

What did you not like about it?

Quoting BramblePatch:

We used WP I'm Ready to Learn and did not like it. At all.

Quoting swim-mom72:

So glad Sonlight is working out for you!

There are other programs that have dailly guides, along with many other elements of Sonlight, as well as tons of hands on activities. Have you looked into Winter's Promise? It is pretty expensive, but is a superior product to Sonlight when it comes to the daily schedule. And then KONOS is full of hands on activities, and would be a great choice for any family that likes the unit study approach, which is similar to Sonlight.

Quoting Silverkitty:

We are looking at the Core E, adding hands on things my daughter would like to do.  My daughter does best when she can read and then discuss what she reads.  I like that it's already planned out and I don't HAVE to plan it.  I have to plan everything else around it.

Quoting swim-mom72:

What aspects of Sonlight do you like? What parts of it do you think your kids will like?

We have used it, but not at that young of an age. And I ask because there are a few programs that are similar to Sonlight, but less intensive. IMO, using Sonlight "can" lead to homeschool burnout because it is A LOT of reading and many moms feel like they need to try and stick to the very heavy schedule within each core.

There are many great aspects to Sonlight, but maybe you could find those things in another, less rigid, program.

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Aside from the shipping nightmare and the company changing books in the curriculum without telling me....

The guide was choppy. The books were all over the place in skill level....from 12 pages in Farmer Boy to toddler books on farm animals. It was like "huh?". The activities did not tie in to the theme about half the time...and were often useless. Many of the internet links were no longer good. The make a letter hands in pack was nothing a good parent hasn't already taught their child and the contents were cheap $#@&. All in all, we hated it and shelved if a few weeks in.

Quoting Silverkitty:

Quoting BramblePatch:

Quoting swim-mom72:

There are other programs that have dailly guides, along with many other elements of Sonlight, as well as tons of hands on activities. Have you looked into Winter's Promise? It is pretty expensive, but is a superior product to Sonlight when it comes to the daily schedule. And then KONOS is full of hands on activities, and would be a great choice for any family that likes the unit study approach, which is similar to Sonlight.

Quoting Silverkitty:

We are looking at the Core E, adding hands on things my daughter would like to do.  My daughter does best when she can read and then discuss what she reads.  I like that it's already planned out and I don't HAVE to plan it.  I have to plan everything else around it.

Quoting swim-mom72:

What aspects of Sonlight do you like? What parts of it do you think your kids will like?

We have used it, but not at that young of an age. And I ask because there are a few programs that are similar to Sonlight, but less intensive. IMO, using Sonlight "can" lead to homeschool burnout because it is A LOT of reading and many moms feel like they need to try and stick to the very heavy schedule within each core.

There are many great aspects to Sonlight, but maybe you could find those things in another, less rigid, program.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:37 PM

That sounds like it was a nightmare!  The one I looked at, later american history and culture, looked fairly good.  Just hearing about shipping is a bit scary though.

Quoting BramblePatch:

Aside from the shipping nightmare and the company changing books in the curriculum without telling me....

The guide was choppy. The books were all over the place in skill level....from 12 pages in Farmer Boy to toddler books on farm animals. It was like "huh?". The activities did not tie in to the theme about half the time...and were often useless. Many of the internet links were no longer good. The make a letter hands in pack was nothing a good parent hasn't already taught their child and the contents were cheap $#@&. All in all, we hated it and shelved if a few weeks in.

Quoting Silverkitty:

Quoting BramblePatch:

Quoting swim-mom72:

Quoting Silverkitty:

Quoting swim-mom72:

swim-mom72
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:32 AM

That's too bad it did not work out for you. Did you call and let them know or complain about it when you realized they had switched books in the program you ordered?? I had to call and speak with them once concerning something minor, and they were very friendly, appologetic and helpful. They are not a large size company, or anywhere near it, like Sonlight is. So, there turn around time is slower.

Quoting BramblePatch:

Quoting Silverkitty:

Quoting BramblePatch:

Quoting swim-mom72:

Quoting Silverkitty:

Quoting swim-mom72:

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:55 AM
I did call and they were nice....but 4 weeks for the first half of my order and 10 days or so after that for the second was more than slow turn around. With the bible switch, the lady on the phone told me it just went out of print but I later found out it had been months. It all left a bad taste in my mouth.

Quoting swim-mom72:

That's too bad it did not work out for you. Did you call and let them know or complain about it when you realized they had switched books in the program you ordered?? I had to call and speak with them once concerning something minor, and they were very friendly, appologetic and helpful. They are not a large size company, or anywhere near it, like Sonlight is. So, there turn around time is slower.

Quoting BramblePatch:

Quoting Silverkitty:

Quoting BramblePatch:

Quoting swim-mom72:

Quoting Silverkitty:

Quoting swim-mom72:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KALmommy
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:44 AM

I love Sonlight!  We have used it for 2 years and will use it next year.  My kids are 9, 7 and 5 so I combine cores cores for the two older ones.  My only advice is if you don't like to read or your kids don't like to read, it's probably not the one for you.  There is A LOT of reading...a lot!  I love how all the books tie together though.  You will read about something in history and then maybe read about the same event through a child's point of view.  It just all ties together nicely.  We do our own math, LA and science but I love the history/geography cores with the readers.  Good luck!

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:30 AM
We've been using Sonlight for 3 of 5 years of homeschooling.

LIKES: My kids span 4 grades, and I can adapt one box curriculum to all 3 of them. I just do math & reading (learning to read) separately.

Geography, history, anthropology, and literature are well covered.

The instructors guide is easy to follow & well planned.

DISLIKES: Some of the content is religiously arrogant (especially in regard to native Americans).

We skip some books entirely, so learn about each book individually. This year it made more sense for me to see which books my public library offers, which ones I could get for cheap on ebay, then just but piecemeal from sonlight, rather than a whole box curriculum.

We don't use anything else from them, except Singapore math, which we really like.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
energygirl
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I am doing Sonlight A now (I have a 6 year old in Kindergarden...and a 4 year old that will be starting Kindergarden next year...so they are just a year apart).  I really like it, the teacher guide is easy to work with (very little planning time needed) and I am going at a slow pace with the history and science (we do it 2-3 days a week) so I can add my son in next year with it.....then we will re do the first part.............so that will make the 2 subjects last 2 years total...and both kids will benefit from it).  That way all I have to buy for next year is the math and language for 1st grade.  I am timing it all so that I can add my 3rd child (who is 3) when she gets old enough to do some science and history with the other 2.  I was going to order core A (since they have a policy where you can return after half the year and get all of your money back.....to me it was like the option of getting it...trying it...and having several months to get my money back if I didn't like it) but then when I found someone who liked it and offerred to sell me her used stuff at a deal....I went that route.  I really like it a lot.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Those of you who mention science -- what are you using? The cores we've used don't come with any science. Are you adding an elective?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Sonlight has multi-subject available that includes science, math, handwriting, and electives.

Quoting hipmomto3:

Those of you who mention science -- what are you using? The cores we've used don't come with any science. Are you adding an elective?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)