Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How can I get my 10 year old to write more. She hates to write and when she has an assignment she writes the minimum possible. She also has trouble getting started. But sometimes she surprises me and will write a full page and a half. It just depends on her mood I think. Because it doesn't matter what the subject is.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Replies (11-15):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Story prompts are fun...   journaling where there is no real pressure and you can ask her what her opinions and thoughts are in the journal... some kids like sharing from their journals, too...

creating comic strips and such is nice, too... captioning drawings and things... 

sometimes the library offers book clubs and writers workshops that are fun for them to be a part of...

writing things that get published, like for Highlights magazine and such is fun, too...

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:09 PM

We don't draft all our writing either... sometimes writing is just about getting ideas on paper.  Getting mechanics down helps too.  Copy work and dictation builds strong mechanics without the struggle of what to write.  Typing, handwritting, and grammar skills in little bits helps.  Writing is one of the last skills to really fully develop.

oredeb
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:32 PM

well if she can write maybe you dont need to push it,

what about a journal and let her put in it what she wants?

let her do her rough draft on the computer

what about differnt colored pens?

teach her caligraphy

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:59 AM

That's what I have to do. She doesn't have to make sure each and every one of her writing pieces is perfect, that's my fault I need to remember that they don't have to be. Just having her write is helping...right. So I guess I need to calm down and let her develop:) 

Quoting KrissyKC:

We don't draft all our writing either... sometimes writing is just about getting ideas on paper.  Getting mechanics down helps too.  Copy work and dictation builds strong mechanics without the struggle of what to write.  Typing, handwritting, and grammar skills in little bits helps.  Writing is one of the last skills to really fully develop.

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:06 AM

That's it she can write, and I know she is a good writer most of the time. She just slacks off when she thinks she can get a way with it and I want her to do a good job all the time. Am I expecting to much? 

She has a journal she writes in every morning and I don't correct that but it has to be a full page.

I let her do her final draft on the computer so she has something to look forward to (she loves using her laptop to write)

You should see her pen supply. Seriously she has 50 different kinds of pens, pencils, markers...colors, styles you name it she has it. We go every year before school starts and they get to buy what ever they want, then I buy what they need;)

We are going to start a program that teaches kids how to use the keyboard on the computer. Maybe we can take a break from all the writing and focus  on that for a little while. Hopefully she will like it.

Quoting oredeb:

well if she can write maybe you dont need to push it,

what about a journal and let her put in it what she wants?

let her do her rough draft on the computer

what about differnt colored pens?

teach her caligraphy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN