Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Middle & high school curriculum

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:00 AM
  • 8 Replies

I am getting so nervous. Cathryn will be in 6th grade next year and I'm not sure what curriculum to get. Should I go with the work sheet way printing them off for each subject. This year I bought Houghton Mifflin and Harcourt books and work books. I don't want to do anything on line. I don't have cable or anything like that. I have the MIFI from Verizon which I pay a certain amount for 5G. What do you girls use for middle and high school curriculum? 

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Unless I use Kolbe for lesson plans and homeschool friendly hands on to supplement, I steer clear of public school texts like Mifflin and Harcourt; those are created for the public school and aren't, in my opinion, homeschool friendly.

This is what we are using this year for grade 6:

Grammar/Writing: Hake Grammar and Writing 6

Math: Math Mammoth 6 *and* Horizons Pre Algebra

History (American): Joy Hakim's The History of US *and* From Sea to Shining Sea (FSTSS is Catholic; Joy Hakiim is secular)

Science: Ellen McHenry

Misc. Literature

Next year (grade 7) we will be adding in several more subjects (formal vocabulary, art history, geography, an ASL class online, and we will be moving into world history instead of American history).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

denmomof3
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM

My daughter  will be in the 7th grade. Next year she will be taking Language Arts, Life Science, our State's History, Math, PE, Spanish and another elective which we are still trying to decide.

We will more than likely use the following for her core classes although I am still undecided about Math.

Language Arts: Time4Learning (Language Arts/Language Arts Extensions) supplemented with some writing and extra reading/literature

Math: A very inexpensive textbook I purchsed through Amazon - 7th grade text through Glencoe McGraw-Hill Mathematics textbooks (Cosmeo.com has some lessons to go along with this textbook). My other alternative is Teaching Textbooks.

Life Science: I purchased a Life Science textbook through Amazon and the publisher is Christian Schools International.

History: State Text

I want my daughter to have a combination of online/computer and textbooks. I don't want her to be totally dependent on the computer.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Here's what we use for 6th grade (Ds hates any online academics - he prefers books, paper, & pencils):

English:  Hake Grammar & Writing 6, Sequential Spelling 1, Wordly Wise 6, Read & Understand Poetry 6+, 6th Grade Complete Curriculum Reading Comprehension

Math:  Saxon 7/6, 6th Grade Complete Curriculum Math (as review & practice)

History:  SOTW 1 - along w/mapwork, documentaries, & field trips. Very informal, usually once a week.

Science:  Apologia General Science.  This is a bit too much for our liking.  We'll finish out the year with it, reading together and doing the experiments, and a bit of writing.  Also, documentaries & field trips.

Art:  Artistic Pursuits Junior High Book 1

And several outside activities. 

------------------------------------------------------

For 7th grade I'm planning:

English:  Lightning Literature 7, Sequential Spelling 2, maybe Hake 7 too

Math:  Saxon 8/7

History & Science will be interest-based, reinforced and facilitated with projects, field trips, documentaries, & outside classes

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:56 PM

This year for 6th grade I pieced together

Perplexors for logic,  Meet the Great Composers for music,  Artistic Pursuits for art,  Hake Grammar and Writing 6 for grammar,  Classical House of Learning Literature for literature,  Vocabulary from Classical Root 4 5 &6 for vocabulary,  Human Odyssey Vol 1 and 2 for history,  All About Spelling for spelling,  Writing With Skill for writing (not working out for us),  Life of Fred for math (again, not working out) using Teaching Textbooks Math 7 on the computer (NEVER again).  From now on everything we do will be off the computer.

For 7th grade I don't entirely know what I'm doing, it changes weekly since I've not bought anything but math and Japanese.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:42 PM

My daughter is in 5th right now...   she is doing the following:

time4learning.com (5th grade level)   This is because I have four kids and the last one is only 7 months old...  I needed them to be able to "do" some of their stuff without me.

Rod & Staff English (6th grade)  This is kind-of like our version of honors English.  It's very traditional style with diagramming sentences, developing writing and note taking, heavy grammar, etc...

We are getting ready to buy a second math curriculum because T4L is only so-so... I think we might go with Math U See (pre-algebra)... she is doing 7th grade math with T4L.

We combine our other subjects and do unit studies, but I'm looking into switching to Apologia science and Rod & Staff history.

High school is going to be a diff story, I'm thinking about switched on school house and when they are ready having them take courses at the local learning center and college courses.

We also own some of the My Father's World program and skim from here as well.

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I'd like to go the secular way we aren't religious, and I don't mind talking about religion but I don't it the focus in the subjects. Thank you ladies for your input and keep it coming if you have any more to give me! I hope I figure out what I want to do with them before to long. I take forever trying to find just the right thing!

oredeb
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:23 PM

i use

saxon for math

rod and staff and abeka for english

history is unit studies

science is apologia plus unit studies

what is mifi???

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:40 AM

It's from Verizon, it's this little device that give's you wireless internet with out the modem or cable. We get 5g a month and it's like 70 bucks a month or around there. Otherwise we'd have to get dial up. There isn't anything else out my way.

Quoting oredeb:

i use

saxon for math

rod and staff and abeka for english

history is unit studies

science is apologia plus unit studies

what is mifi???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)