Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

A little advice might be helpful before I pull my hair out...

Posted by   + Show Post

My 4 yo is doing great with her studies.  She is learning cursive and our curric (ABeka) has them use a slant guide to help get that proper slant with the cursive.  Here are my concerns.  She holds her pencil in her right hand, but grips it and turns her hand like a left would, she slants her paper to the right (consistently--like a lefty would need it), but she writes, colors and eats right handed.

I have tried getting her to use her left hand, but she wants nothing to do with it.  Is this just a phase?  How do I encourage proper grip and formation for a righty if everything that she is doing is naturall a lefty?  Does any of this make sense?

Sorry I am really confused on what to do to help her to get it right.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Replies (11-15):
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:31 PM

What matters is dose she feel comfortable doing it her way if so this might just be how she wants to write for now. She will adjust her grasp as time goes on & she will find what works better as she gets more comfortable with writing.

Quoting coala:

I don't want to force her into something, but I want to make sure that she has a proper grasp (as in the pencil not laying down in her hand while she is writting) and that she can make her letters properly.  She is starting to form some of them properly which is a good thing, but the constant slant like a lefty concerns me (with her slant guide).  Her Dad said to just let her be and see what happens.  If we can't find something that works by the time her penmanship is actually being graded then will try to fix somethings.

Quoting usmom3:

I would let her do it the way it feels right to her, I have been told to many stories of kids being forced to write "the right way" instead of their way & it ended up making the child frustrated & hating writing.

coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Thanks!!  I think that is what I needed to hear.  I don't want to force anything on her b/c I don't want to turn her off from doing it.  I have proided her with everything she has asked for to help with her writting.  I wanted her to do them free hand and she says that she wants to trace them...so I printed a page for her to trace, but also has space to do free hand.  I have done this with other things for her as well.  She is to smart for her own good at this age.  LOL

Quoting usmom3:

What matters is dose she feel comfortable doing it her way if so this might just be how she wants to write for now. She will adjust her grasp as time goes on & she will find what works better as she gets more comfortable with writing.

Quoting coala:

I don't want to force her into something, but I want to make sure that she has a proper grasp (as in the pencil not laying down in her hand while she is writting) and that she can make her letters properly.  She is starting to form some of them properly which is a good thing, but the constant slant like a lefty concerns me (with her slant guide).  Her Dad said to just let her be and see what happens.  If we can't find something that works by the time her penmanship is actually being graded then will try to fix somethings.

Quoting usmom3:

I would let her do it the way it feels right to her, I have been told to many stories of kids being forced to write "the right way" instead of their way & it ended up making the child frustrated & hating writing.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Your welcome, I am glade I could help.

Quoting coala:

Thanks!!  I think that is what I needed to hear.  I don't want to force anything on her b/c I don't want to turn her off from doing it.  I have proided her with everything she has asked for to help with her writting.  I wanted her to do them free hand and she says that she wants to trace them...so I printed a page for her to trace, but also has space to do free hand.  I have done this with other things for her as well.  She is to smart for her own good at this age.  LOL

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting coala:

Quoting usmom3:

jewel80
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Maybe thats a bit much for a 4yr old?? I would wait to teach cursive til her printing is great i think you might be pushing her, look up child development i really think 4 is too young to expect that much fine motor control
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM

The program we use teaches it this early.  They have done the research and have been doing this for over 30 years.  She is doing great with it.  My concern is with her grip and the constant want to slant lefty when she writes with her right hand.

Quoting jewel80:

Maybe thats a bit much for a 4yr old?? I would wait to teach cursive til her printing is great i think you might be pushing her, look up child development i really think 4 is too young to expect that much fine motor control

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN