Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Oy! I wasn't quite ready to add a preschooler, yet!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

Theo is getting more and more demanding interested in what I do with his older siblings. Honestly, unless we were doing Science or a craft, he really wasn't interested. Now, he is all into it, but in a bratty way. LOL The older two were watching a Bill Nye video on the computer and Theo wanted to watch, too. That's fine except he also wanted to sit front and center blocking the view and kept messing witht he keyboard. He wants to do worksheets, too, except he wants to do them NOW while I'm helping a sibling.

I think I'm going to have to start planning him in, but I hope he isn't going to only want to do it with me right there. Ugh! I may do a trial run with workboxes with him.

I know I'm whining. Just had to get it out! lol

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL.  My 4 year old has started doing this.  Front and center is where she wants to be - right up in the learning action!  So I bought her a workbook.  Now she throws the papers in our faces and says "HELP ME!!!"  lol.  Atleast they love learning!

coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Atleast he wants to learn!!  He is going to have to learn patience.  I hope you can figure it out.  I had my LO working behind me in my office while he sister was working on her lessons in the living room.  It was just easier that way.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Workboxes are great, it is nice and visual and you can get them to where they will go get a box, do it, move to the next. Chels flew through them, but it gave me about 15 minutes. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

hahahahahah well you could train him now not to have you there all the time!! maybe he just wants to have some of the attention his bro and sis are getting!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:12 PM

When my 4, almost 5 year old begins that bratty behavior... I have to INSTANTLY send her to her room for disrupting.  I cannot give warnings, and I cannot allow her to pitch a fit.   I just simply drag her briskly to her room and deposit her.   Let her know that she may NOT disrupt school and walk away.   If she at least remains a few moments and then comes to apologize, I let her join back in.

It doesn't fix the problem all the time, but it contains it.   However, you probably remember my post from a few weeks ago getting both advice and bashed on trying to deal with this sweet angel.. LOL!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:13 PM

oh, and to add to above.   I try to have options for quiet distraction like puzzles, coloring pages, etc... that she can do at the same time, but only if she's quiet.   So she can join in, but have some busy work too.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like he wants some of that special Mom attention too. Make him a work box/busy box full of stuff that he can only use during school time so it is special.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:11 PM

This is what I was going to suggest. My 4 yr old has to be in someone's lap during school. So she has been learnong things now instead of later. lol

Quoting usmom3:

It sounds like he wants some of that special Mom attention too. Make him a work box/busy box full of stuff that he can only use during school time so it is special.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:27 AM
This is what I think Theo will do. Lol

Quoting Boobah:

Workboxes are great, it is nice and visual and you can get them to where they will go get a box, do it, move to the next. Chels flew through them, but it gave me about 15 minutes. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:39 AM
I learned to give things that took a bit longer, or were more interesting to her, mixed with some easy, fast things to keep her attention and moving. Lately we have stopped the workboxes and I hear "I want to cuddle, I want someone to play with me, what can I doooooooooo" and whines all day. Lol. My answer is always clean. She stops asking for a bit, then starts again. I need to plan more activities for her.

Quoting mem82:

This is what I think Theo will do. Lol

Quoting Boobah:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN