Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you socialize your young homeschooler?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:01 PM
  • 11 Replies

We are homeschooling my son, who is currently 5. He will be starting kindergarten through OHVA in August. We are already working on a kindergaten level though.

We are home schooling due to the fact that he has several social/emotional delays and disorders.

On Wednesday nights, we go to story time at the library.

Every other Saturday we go to Lowes build and Grow work shop

I wanted to sign him up for gymnastics, he really enjoyed the free introductory class, but we lost our medical insurance for him and now have to pay cash for his therapy appointments, so no money for 100 dollars a month in gymnastics

The library offers music therapy but it's during the work day, while I'm here at work BLAH

The art museum offers art classes for 1 day a week, 83 dollars every 3 months. But of course, the class starts 30 minutes before I can be there.

I feel like all of the events and programs for children, happen during a typical work day.

So - ladies, how do you socialize your young ones

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:23 PM

About three years ago we moved to this neighborhood that is full of great kids around my children's ages, so my children have a lot of friends there.  Last year we joined an awesome homeschool co-op that they've met a few friends from and we do events and meet-ups with.  In our state we have charter schools and a lot of homeschool classes and programs that aren't over priced so my children are in a lot of extra curricular activities.  They take a Science course on Wednesdays, on Fridays they have Tennis and Carpentry.  They're also enrolled into a Japanese school they attend half day on Saturdays.  A few of my children are into Pokemon so they play with the local league which gets together and does matches every Sunday at our local comic book store.  There are times I wished we weren't so busy and out there, but I do enjoy meeting and seeing all the good friends my children have made over the years.

My best suggestion for you is to see if you can join a homeschool group or co-op, or google what is available for homeschoolers near you.  Just going to the park and having your son meet other children and play with them is another good way for him to get out and do things with his peers.

At age 5 my son had a few pals, but nothing like he does now at age 8.  He "just" went on his first sleepover this past weekend at his friends house, so really although younger children can make close friends and bonds it's not typical that they need a lot of socialization vs. the older they get.  I laugh at my girls' friends who are into texting them like crazy.  My girls(all pre-teen almost teenagers) although very social and into hanging out with their friends can sometimes get distracted and forget to reply to their 20+ friends texts.  A homeschooler tends to have a lot of friends from different backgrounds, and they are probably the first type of child to fearlessly explore who they are and there interests... needless to say I never hear the words "I'm bored" from my children's mouth.

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I like Home School Co-ops.  Through these groups, one can go on field trips, take turns with other moms teaching different subjects as a group, attend graduation and celebration ceremonies, mom's night out, mentor-ship, and play days.

Check with your State Home School Association.  They usually list these groups on their website so you can find one near you. 

How To Find Your State Home School Association

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Community events like you have him in are great.  We use boy scouts/girl scouts, parks and rec in the summer and church events.  We live in a very family friendly neighborhood, so theres a lot of socialization that happens naturally in our daily life.  We also use a local arts center.  

coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:07 PM

We currently go our local skating rink on Saturdays.  We are usually there for 8 hours....my kids LOVE this.  They take group skating lessons (1 @830 and the other @915), they do open skate from 10-12 and then 1-4.  The group lessons are $6.  Stupid cheap for us to be there ALL day as a family.  We used to go to stroy time, but we haven't been since November...life got busy and we are now sick.  We do playdates with kids from the rink....they go to PS, and we get together and do another lesson with 4 other kids from the rink at an outdoor rink on Wednesdays @430.  My girls are avid skaters and are learning to figure skate (on roller skates and rollerblades).  We find local things to get involved in.  They volunteer a few times a year, and I will be looking into doing this on a regular basis.  I want them to be involved in their community.  We are also with a local HS group and we do field trips and take a few classes with them as well.  We also found an ONLY HS GS troop....not enrolled yet, but we would like to joing next year.  There are so many things that you can find to do.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:52 PM

We belong to a homeschool group around here.   It costs $20 bucks annually for the base membership.

There are field trips, play dates, smaller cluster groups, etc..

Plus, we pay $25.00 per month to go to the elementary choir they offer.   I have them take music lessons of a homeschooled teen, we go to a decent size church that has a big kids group... they go there regularly and participate in the wed. night clubs, sunday morning bible quiz practice (with bible quiz meets monthly a town or two away from us)... plus kids church.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:46 PM

We do as much of the free activities the library offers as we can, we go to the park, skating rink & when we can afford it we do classes & field trips offered to the homeschool community.

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:47 PM

same way I would if I weren't homeschooling. We have church & other activities that they attend weekly.

BabyFruit Ticker

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I socialzed my children by talking with them and playing with them. Wherever and whenever/ We went to the grocery stores and church and talked with neighbors and family.  

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:22 PM
I plan on putting her in Girl Scout when she turns 5 (August), church, and extracurriculars (gymnastics, drama etc)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KALmommy
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:04 AM

We have joined a homeschool co-op and it is amazing for both the kids and myself.  They also do sports, dance, church groups, swim lessons, etc. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)