Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you socialize your young homeschooler?

Posted by   + Show Post

We are homeschooling my son, who is currently 5. He will be starting kindergarten through OHVA in August. We are already working on a kindergaten level though.

We are home schooling due to the fact that he has several social/emotional delays and disorders.

On Wednesday nights, we go to story time at the library.

Every other Saturday we go to Lowes build and Grow work shop

I wanted to sign him up for gymnastics, he really enjoyed the free introductory class, but we lost our medical insurance for him and now have to pay cash for his therapy appointments, so no money for 100 dollars a month in gymnastics

The library offers music therapy but it's during the work day, while I'm here at work BLAH

The art museum offers art classes for 1 day a week, 83 dollars every 3 months. But of course, the class starts 30 minutes before I can be there.

I feel like all of the events and programs for children, happen during a typical work day.

So - ladies, how do you socialize your young ones

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Replies (11-11):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:32 AM

we take karate, run errands togethers, sleep overs, 2 weeksly co-ops, weekly homeschool class at a campground,  field trips.  Right now I am waiting for two families to come over for US histroy class we just started.  Socializing is not one of our problems.  I just want to add these activities are mostly for fun and education.  Real socialization begins at home.  Children learn socialization from their parents and not from other children.  Kids do need to be around other children but not on a daily basis.  I found that when my kids were young they just needed to be around other kids but not they are older they are more interested in building lasting friendships.  Parks are a great way to meet new homeschoolers especially if you are going in the middle of the day.  Also I would like to add finding a local homeschooling group on yahoo can also be helpful.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)