Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Mother-in-law is paying.....

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM
  • 22 Replies
My daughter was pulled out of PS after finishing 3rd grade. (As well as my twin sons who had finished K5). The main reason was because the district wouldn't listen to my concerns about one of my sons. He has dyslexia. My daughter was tutored for fluency. She missed out o recess and some other activities as well. Anyways, fast forward 3 yrs. She has wanted to go back to school since taking her out. Over the weekend my mother-in-law told her (not in our presence ) that she would pay for her to go to a private school. This happens yo be the school we were going yo send her to until we found out were were having twins. It's a good school and she would be happy. We go to church, but there aren't many kids. None her age. She's wanting to play sports, too. What to do, what to do......
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
afwifeandmommy3
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:38 AM
I would try it if it was me .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Could try it for a year.  Could talk with your mother in law about maybe paying for a sports type activity instead of the school, or if the school doesn't work out.  Some states have laws where the schools allow homeschoolers to join in for some of the classes and activities without being enrolled, I'd look at your laws.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM
I would first see if your mil was serious.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:53 AM
This too

Quoting Silverkitty:

Could try it for a year.  Could talk with your mother in law about maybe paying for a sports type activity instead of the school, or if the school doesn't work out.  Some states have laws where the schools allow homeschoolers to join in for some of the classes and activities without being enrolled, I'd look at your laws.

JuicyRedTomato
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Same here. Nothing like getting her enrolled just to take her back out.

Quoting mem82:

I would first see if your mil was serious.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I don't see the harm in trying it.

On that note, I've never heard of any good professional giving a kindergarten student a dyslexia dx - many dylexia characteristics are perfectly normal until grade 2 or 3.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be pretty upset if my MIL was talking to my DD about paying for her to do something like that with out talking to my husband & I first. I would also be concerned about how much say your MIL will want to have over your DD sense it wouldbe her money paying for your DD's education.

Chelsey191
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM
If mil wanted to pay for it and dd wanted to go I would let her.
blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

First I would be kind of upset at the mother in law for even bringing it up to your daughter. That isn't something she should even be saying to your daughter. That is something that could start a fight between you and your daughter.  With that said you have to find out if she was serious and if she is you have to make sure that it's something that won't be brought up down the road. Like if she happens to not be able to continue to pay for the school or if she needs the money for something else. It has to be a gift and treated as one she can't use it against you. Family and money is a no no...I've learned that the hard way. Good luck!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I agree.

Quoting usmom3:

I would be pretty upset if my MIL was talking to my DD about paying for her to do something like that with out talking to my husband & I first. I would also be concerned about how much say your MIL will want to have over your DD sense it wouldbe her money paying for your DD's education.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)