Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

To homeschool or not to homeschool that is the question.

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:37 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am the mom of two boys one is in school, This is his first year and he is doing well but the teachers don't look after him well, meaning that he is getting picked on and hurt. I tried talking to the school and they say they will handle it but they have yet to do so. I am concern to homeschool believing that he might not get what he needs from me alone but ... homeschooling have alot of good points too. So I am looking for moms that have been homeschooling for so pros and cons to help me make up my mind.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Welcome!

lovemy2boys16
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Thank you

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM

My oldest was in ps for K and 1st. I didn't like the enviroment she was in, either. There are so many groups, and clubs, you can join as a homeschooler, you'll be able to fill all your son's needs. 8)

I have to go do Math with my own son, but I'll be back. 8)

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group. I believe that homeschooling is always the best but that is my personal opinion.

shamrock_momma
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Your situation sounds similar to what I was going through with my son. I pulled my son out of PS this year, 6 weeks into the school year. My son is in second grade and he was just skimming by. I tried to talk to his teacher, but she blew me off.... as did the rest of the staff. I also went to lunch with him a few times and recess. He was picked on by the boys and the girls wanted him to be a "mommy" so they could play mommies together. Then, to make things better, only two adults were outside with over 200 kids at recess. They didn't watch the kids at all, but sat at a table and played on their phones.

For me, homeschooling was the right thing to do. It's not been an easy transition and my husband still isn't sure about it. But as we come to the end of this year, I wouldn't change it for anything. I am so excited about starting 3rd grade this fall. The changes I've seen in my son are amazing. He's reading better, he's more polite, he listens to me now, and really is enjoying learning. Knowing he is safe, learning at his own pace, getting to know him better and build our relationship, and providing him with (in my opinion) a better, more well rounded education is the best choice I could have made.

Hope that helps! Best of luck making your decision. And keep this in mind, you'll be learning right along with him and you've already been his teacher for years. Who taught him how to talk, walk, eat, etc? You've been his teacher all along. If you decide to homeschool, you'll just be doing a different aspect of teaching.

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Welcome!  This is my 3rd year of home schooling and I wouldn't have it any other way. It is challenging at times and I want to quit some days but I won't give up on my kids so we all pull through.

When my oldest was in 3rd grade I pulled her out after 20 days. I was sick of the teacher and how she was handling the class. My daughter was 2 and in some subjects 3 grades a head and the school would do nothing for her. She hated going to school because she was so bored and on top of that she was uncomfortable, her skin is very sensitive and to have to sit in a chair all day was just awful for her. Then with the bomb threats and bullies I just couldn't handle it any more. My youngest daughter went to kindergarten and I never sent her back for first grade. They are both doing very well. 

Take some time to figure out what you want to do. Do some research on the curriculum you want to teach. And any time you have a question come on here. There are so many women on here who can help! Good luck!!

WantedNameTaken
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Welcome!

Cons that I've discovered: nothing beyond what I experienced when the kids were in B&M school and I taught them after school and throughout summer breaks.

Pros: just about everything - even the mood swings from the kids :)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Hello and Welcome!  :)  

There are pros and cons to most anything and everything we do in life. Its all in how we handle what we go through that is the true test.  You may struggle some days and some days you will have the times of your lives. What makes homeschoolong worth it in the end, is that you get to help mold and shape your kids the way the NEED and WANT to go.  You get to be together as a family, spending more time than if the kids were in a public school.  You get to be on the fast track of learning if that is where your child needs to be, instead of having to sit and wait around for all the other s to cathc up.   OR   You get to be on the slow track of learning if your child needs to slow down to understand better without being pushed to move on just to get the top scores for the tests overall.  You and your child(ren) actually love to learn and discover things about each other and the world at large at the exact pace that is needed. You get to make sure that your child is not learning something you do not approve of. You also get to learn something that you do approve of.  YOU are the one who is in charge. 

Yes you will fight. Yes you will hit a wall every so often. Yes it will look like things have stalled for longer than you think is neccessary. 

BUT

ALL of that is worth the whole time of being able to spend that entire time with your children. :)  

Wouldn't you think so? 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I have been homeschooling for over 6 years and have yet to find any real cons.  Homeschooling  can be whatever you need.  It all depends on your needs and what is around you.  Everything important my kids learn from me even bad habits.  LOL  Most homeschooled children have a variety of influences.  My sons have about 6-7 teachers other than myself.  Homeschooling is about learning to become self educated. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)