Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to Homeschooling...High School Freshman HELP!!

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM
  • 24 Replies

I recently withdrew my daughter from high school 9th grade due to uncontrolled Epilespy  as well as bullying. We are struggling financially & I have been searching the Internet for things for her to do for free. I have to say I'm a bit overwhelmed. Some of the things that should be on her level she doesn't understand & is getting frustrated & other things she says are too easy. Any suggestions on what to do about curriculum...I feel Im just wasting time. She was half way through her Freshman year so I don't want to start completely over in 9th grade. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SusanTheWriter
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Did she receive any credit for last semester's work when you withdrew her? I took DD out in the spring of her Freshman year, too. We basically finished the work she needed to do for her classes and what she got on her final exam was her grade for the semester. For some things like Geometry, the school allowed us to keep the textbook until the end of the school year and she studied and learned from the text.

How was she doing in her classes? Do you know what she was studying? Many teachers now put their class syllabus and/or assignments online on the school website. That may give you a better idea of what they were doing in class, as well as what's left to finish out the year.

If you're planning on homeschooling her for the rest of high school, I *highly* recommend that you take some time to unschool, rather than just diving right back in. I took DD out at Easter and we kind of puttered along with different subjects through the rest of spring and summer so we were finished with 9th grade by early fall/the beginning of 10th grade. We go by the school calendar for a number of reasons, but you don't have to.

As for finances, yes, we have spent some money. I purchased a couple of study guides for Literature, a Grammar book (even though I own several grammar texts, the one I bought seemed more user friendly), a spine to use for US History plus the source document companion, a Spanish curriculum, and her Chemistry texts. All of that came to less than $200, spread over the course of several months. We were able to borrow her math curriculum from another hs family in our church, which was a blessing.

We're also members of our homeschool group and co-op, so we pay a very small fee for those classes. And she takes a Chemistry class with other homeschooled teens that costs $45/month.

95% of her reading material comes from the local library, so it's free. We use other library material and online resources to supplement other classes, too. Overall, I'm paying less to homeschool her for one year of high school than I paid into the school lunch account for a semester.

Good luck!

Juicey1
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I am so happy to have found you...I have been searchin the web for other homeschooling moms in the Spring area & there have been no results! She has 1 1/2 credits when I withdrew her just 2 weeks ago. She loves reading, writing & art. I spoke with her counselor before withdrawing her & she offered no help other than she though it would be a good idea to homeschool her.

We attend a very small church...there arent many children her age there. She is probably the oldest. I would love any info on your co op. I had a friend who suggested I get her in one & had no luck finding one in our area either.

Thanks so much...Im currently waiting on our income tax return so that I can purchase some curriculum for her. Do you know of a store in our area that I can go and actually look at the curriculum?

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Did she receive any credit for last semester's work when you withdrew her? I took DD out in the spring of her Freshman year, too. We basically finished the work she needed to do for her classes and what she got on her final exam was her grade for the semester. For some things like Geometry, the school allowed us to keep the textbook until the end of the school year and she studied and learned from the text.

How was she doing in her classes? Do you know what she was studying? Many teachers now put their class syllabus and/or assignments online on the school website. That may give you a better idea of what they were doing in class, as well as what's left to finish out the year.

If you're planning on homeschooling her for the rest of high school, I *highly* recommend that you take some time to unschool, rather than just diving right back in. I took DD out at Easter and we kind of puttered along with different subjects through the rest of spring and summer so we were finished with 9th grade by early fall/the beginning of 10th grade. We go by the school calendar for a number of reasons, but you don't have to.

As for finances, yes, we have spent some money. I purchased a couple of study guides for Literature, a Grammar book (even though I own several grammar texts, the one I bought seemed more user friendly), a spine to use for US History plus the source document companion, a Spanish curriculum, and her Chemistry texts. All of that came to less than $200, spread over the course of several months. We were able to borrow her math curriculum from another hs family in our church, which was a blessing.

We're also members of our homeschool group and co-op, so we pay a very small fee for those classes. And she takes a Chemistry class with other homeschooled teens that costs $45/month.

95% of her reading material comes from the local library, so it's free. We use other library material and online resources to supplement other classes, too. Overall, I'm paying less to homeschool her for one year of high school than I paid into the school lunch account for a semester.

Good luck!

SusanTheWriter
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Spring, Texas? I'm up in Illinois, so no help on local stuff. If you Google "homeschool group *your town/state*" you'll find some help nearby. Maybe not right in your town or right next door, but within a reasonable drive.

You might also check your local library or YMCA to see if there are any homeschool groups or classes that use their facility. Speaking of the library, if you haven't already, scour their homeschooling section and use their Request feature. Librarians have an amazing amount of information at their fingertips. They're a wonderful resource.

The one thing I discovered about homeschooling is that I have to do a lot of research to find the right tools. Follow up on trails with emails and phone calls and you'll find a lot of doors that open for you and your DD.

Quoting Juicey1:

I am so happy to have found you...I have been searchin the web for other homeschooling moms in the Spring area & there have been no results! She has 1 1/2 credits when I withdrew her just 2 weeks ago. She loves reading, writing & art. I spoke with her counselor before withdrawing her & she offered no help other than she though it would be a good idea to homeschool her.

We attend a very small church...there arent many children her age there. She is probably the oldest. I would love any info on your co op. I had a friend who suggested I get her in one & had no luck finding one in our area either.

Thanks so much...Im currently waiting on our income tax return so that I can purchase some curriculum for her. Do you know of a store in our area that I can go and actually look at the curriculum?

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Good luck!

Juicey1
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:44 PM

lol Im so goofy...when you said you took your daughter out in Spring I thought you meant Spring High School. Thanks so much for the help...I did visit my local library last week & the librarian I spoke to was no help & rather rude. Maybe I will try again with a different lady this time!! Im sure I will figure it out I just feel so rushed but I guess i dont really need to rush! She has all summer to get caught up & back on track!!

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Spring, Texas? I'm up in Illinois, so no help on local stuff. If you Google "homeschool group *your town/state*" you'll find some help nearby. Maybe not right in your town or right next door, but within a reasonable drive.

You might also check your local library or YMCA to see if there are any homeschool groups or classes that use their facility. Speaking of the library, if you haven't already, scour their homeschooling section and use their Request feature. Librarians have an amazing amount of information at their fingertips. They're a wonderful resource.

The one thing I discovered about homeschooling is that I have to do a lot of research to find the right tools. Follow up on trails with emails and phone calls and you'll find a lot of doors that open for you and your DD.

Quoting Juicey1:

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Good luck!

SusanTheWriter
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM

The transition to homeschool instead of outside school takes some adjustment time. Rushing it really just slows you down because there's still so much leftover anxiety and pressure from school. We took her out in mid-March, then took off all through April before she was ready to get some work done. There wasn't really much left to be done, so we were able to take it slow and finish different classes at different points throughout the summer.

I'm sorry you got a stinky librarian. Some of them are not people-friendly. Hope you find a nicer one on your next trip!

Quoting Juicey1:

lol Im so goofy...when you said you took your daughter out in Spring I thought you meant Spring High School. Thanks so much for the help...I did visit my local library last week & the librarian I spoke to was no help & rather rude. Maybe I will try again with a different lady this time!! Im sure I will figure it out I just feel so rushed but I guess i dont really need to rush! She has all summer to get caught up & back on track!!

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Quoting Juicey1:

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Good luck!

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:43 PM

You are really close to Houston right? I know that there are a few homeschool groups in Houston that you should be able to join & there is a Mardel's here .

Lullababy
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM

What state are you in? You need to find out your state laws and graduation requirements.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM

She said she was in Texas, Homeschoolers in Texas are not required to fallow the same requirements to graduateas public schools. She can chose what she wants her daughter to know to graduate her so in theory she could graduate her now if she really wanted too.

Quoting Lullababy:

What state are you in? You need to find out your state laws and graduation requirements.

Lullababy
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I didn't see that until after my initial reply. I had the page open from earlier had not refreshed it is missed the comments.

you still need transcripts if she's college bound.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN