Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to Homeschooling...High School Freshman HELP!!

Posted by   + Show Post

I recently withdrew my daughter from high school 9th grade due to uncontrolled Epilespy  as well as bullying. We are struggling financially & I have been searching the Internet for things for her to do for free. I have to say I'm a bit overwhelmed. Some of the things that should be on her level she doesn't understand & is getting frustrated & other things she says are too easy. Any suggestions on what to do about curriculum...I feel Im just wasting time. She was half way through her Freshman year so I don't want to start completely over in 9th grade. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Replies (21-24):
Juicey1
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Thanks I did join this group but most of the parents are of much younger kids! I did just check again & there is one mom who also has a 15 year old daughter & I sent her an email!

Quoting KrissyKC:

I found this online... I don't know what your religious standing is, but this sounds like it's NOT a religious group.  

http://www.meetup.com/HomeExplorers/

Juicey1
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Im not ready for her to start as of yet...I dont think her maturity level is where it needs to be to be able to fully benefit from the experience.

I was able to look on the Mardel website I did see some Co ops that I maybe able to join. Thank you so much for that website...it is gonna be very helpful for us.

Quoting usmom3:

You are right about her only needing the high school diploma or GED to get in to them. Have you looked in to them to see if there are any near you that she could start to attend now? If she already knows what she wants to do no need to wait to do it let her get in & start now.

I am in Texas too but very far away from you, I have friends that live in the East Texas aria that are members of the Houston homeschool groups.

Quoting Juicey1:

Yes I do live in Texas. I checked the state laws before withdrawing her from public school & I do have the right to choose what she learns. I did read that I do need to keep records for transcripts if she wants to go to college. I believe she has a passion for culinary arts & wants to attend a trade school. In this case I believe all she needs is a high school diploma or ged.

Quoting usmom3:

She said she was in Texas, Homeschoolers in Texas are not required to fallow the same requirements to graduateas public schools. She can chose what she wants her daughter to know to graduate her so in theory she could graduate her now if she really wanted too.

Quoting Lullababy:

What state are you in? You need to find out your state laws and graduation requirements.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I understand about waiting for maturity, my oldest is 19 with high functioning Autism & his maturity level is like a 13 y/o so we do things based off of his maturity level rather then his age. He is not ready for the responsibility of a job or of a trade school yet so we are waiting to graduate him until the end of this school year.

Your welcome on the website, I knew there had to be one close to you because there is one in all the big cities here.

Quoting Juicey1:

Im not ready for her to start as of yet...I dont think her maturity level is where it needs to be to be able to fully benefit from the experience.

I was able to look on the Mardel website I did see some Co ops that I maybe able to join. Thank you so much for that website...it is gonna be very helpful for us.

JuicyRedTomato
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!

This is a great and very supportive group. Although my kiddos aren't close in age to yours, I highly recommend taking some time to seriously explore different types of learning programs before committing to a curriculum. In my opinion, the most stressful aspect  is determining what type of curriculum to utilize. There are so many questions about accreditation, structure, etc. that it can be overwhelming.Take your time and realize that you don't have to emulate the environment of the public school system for her to learn. If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten. The best piece of encouragement that I was ever given was this: NO ONE cares more about your child's education and success than you do...The individualized attention you will give her will probably benefit her 100 times more then just sitting in an overcrowded classroom. It will take some time to adjust, but things will take off and I guarantee that she will be learning more effectively than ever before.

I don't have any specific advice, but you can do this! Best of luck to you and your DD!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN