Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help!! Need some advice from other homeschooling moms

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM
  • 18 Replies

I've been homeschooling my son who is 15 years old for 2 years now.Now he's getting were he doesn't want to get up and get any homework done.I've tried grounding him and let friends come over.But he calls his dad everytime when I do punish him and he comes and gets him.I'm just to the point doing I keep dealing with this everyday or put him back in public school.He had anxiety and bullying issues when I took him out.Does anyone know of any other ideas before I make the change and put him back in school?Thanks

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:47 PM
2 moms liked this

That's tough! My girls are still little and they actually asked to be home schooled which helps is these situations when they get is a mood and don't want to do work. I am dreading the day when one of them asks to go back to PS.

I don't think that his father should be "rescuing" him every time he doesn't want to do what he is suppose to do. It seems like you two need to talk about ways to deal with your son. Ways to make him do his work when he is suppose to be doing it. Other wise he will continue to call his dad whenever he doesn't want to do his work. Sorry I'm really no help. Hopefully someone gives you some good ideas to deal with this problem.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Give him more control over what he learns & how he learns it!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Wow. That is tough but have you tried finding out what he likes and doesn't like, about learning?  What if you found some online websites that he likes, where lessons are concerned and let him do that for a few days to see how much learning he would have?  How active is he allowed to get during school time?  It may be that he needs more activity and like usmom said, he may need to have a bit more input as to what he learns.  

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Yes, I think at 15, he needs to be more in control of his education and the consequences.  Have him record his own grades and progress, have him research the courses he should take, etc...   Talk about what consequences and routines he will give himself.... 

Example, you want him to be up by 8:30 (just say) and working on school work, but he doesn't want to start school until 11.   Discuss with him if he can get his work DONE and done successfully, that you would agree to that.   Put the ball in his own court.

Also discuss with him what your state laws are regarding schooling.  Maybe if he sees the "rules" spelled out in black and white by some one else, then he'll understand if he doesn't cooperate, then he'll have to get popped back into public school.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Also, he's of an age, that if you have a good homeschool coop or group near you, he could be taking classes and such through them... making friends with some other homeschooled kids and be under the leadership of another teacher.  

In our group, upper grades can participate in our learning center classes.  They are offered in a range of topics... biology, trigonomitry, Art, drama, music theory, college prep for writing and literatures, languages, etc...   Each one, in our group is about 100-200 per semester, and you might be required to buy a book or some other supplies.

If he can whine to Daddy about discipline and get Dad to step in, he could ask Dad to help send him to the classes I'm sure.

oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:28 PM

does he even want to be homeschooled??

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:41 AM

Quoting usmom3:

Give him more control over what he learns & how he learns it!

Yes because next year my children have help and make my own curriculum. My son wants to cut open a frog. So I am trying to get my younger three a stomach for that. I used learned that and I am working at it a little of this year two. More hands on more  

ANGS71
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Thanks for all the ifo.Yes he wants to be homeschooled which I'm glad don't want him in ps.I have tried to show him different places on web etc.I wanted him to get this year in and next year have him go to a tech school half day he wants to be a dieasel mechanic.I'm trying to have a good outlook I guess I'm just worried about meeting his portifilo and not pass.But thanks everyone.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Have you considered trying to get his courses to fit his interests?   If he's interested in mechanics, then have him study that topic in sciences?   What about his math?  Are you asking him to complete college prep math when that's not the direction he's headed?   Try consumer math or something.

ScarletRose4488
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Sounds like a minimum wage work your ass off job is needed.   Let him know WHY he needs to finish school and take it all seriously.   There is also a game....playspent.org/     But I think he would probably not take that seriously.   

Jen
~ I speak from the heart because the truth is always the best - even if you don't know it yet. ~
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)