Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Help!! Need some advice from other homeschooling moms

Posted by   + Show Post

I've been homeschooling my son who is 15 years old for 2 years now.Now he's getting were he doesn't want to get up and get any homework done.I've tried grounding him and let friends come over.But he calls his dad everytime when I do punish him and he comes and gets him.I'm just to the point doing I keep dealing with this everyday or put him back in public school.He had anxiety and bullying issues when I took him out.Does anyone know of any other ideas before I make the change and put him back in school?Thanks

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Replies (11-18):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I completely agree! I would be livid if my husband or exhusband did this.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

That's tough! My girls are still little and they actually asked to be home schooled which helps is these situations when they get is a mood and don't want to do work. I am dreading the day when one of them asks to go back to PS.

I don't think that his father should be "rescuing" him every time he doesn't want to do what he is suppose to do. It seems like you two need to talk about ways to deal with your son. Ways to make him do his work when he is suppose to be doing it. Other wise he will continue to call his dad whenever he doesn't want to do his work. Sorry I'm really no help. Hopefully someone gives you some good ideas to deal with this problem.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Are you going to try and get a real frog or are you going to use one of the virtual frogs?

Quoting motheroffour186:

Quoting usmom3:

Give him more control over what he learns & how he learns it!

Yes because next year my children have help and make my own curriculum. My son wants to cut open a frog. So I am trying to get my younger three a stomach for that. I used learned that and I am working at it a little of this year two. More hands on more  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL You and I think a lot alike!

Quoting ScarletRose4488:

Sounds like a minimum wage work your ass off job is needed.   Let him know WHY he needs to finish school and take it all seriously.   There is also a game....playspent.org/     But I think he would probably not take that seriously.   

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Quoting mem82:

Are you going to try and get a real frog or are you going to use one of the virtual frogs?

Quoting motheroffour186:

Quoting usmom3:

Yes because next year my children have help and make my own curriculum. My son wants to cut open a frog. So I am trying to get my younger three a stomach for that. I used learned that and I am working at it a little of this year two. More hands on more  

I do not know I am still trying to figure out where to get them sorry any ideas??

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Gosh, I don't know. LOL I just planned on using the virtual ones.

Quoting motheroffour186:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting motheroffour186:

Quoting usmom3:

I do not know I am still trying to figure out where to get them sorry any ideas??

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM
2 moms liked this
I am going to give you some advice from personal experience when it comes to being a diesel mechanic (this comes from my Hubby who is a Diesel Mechanic for over 15 years & he started at the bottom & worked his way up with no collage) . The best thing your son could do is get a job now at a shop as a porter (this is a mechanics helper) & start from the ground up. My Husband says that most of the new guys that come in that have only gone to school for it & never actually been in a shop are not skilled at all & end up quitting because it is not what they thought it would be. Doing it this way will give him a chance to se what it is like & valuable hands on experience.

Quoting ANGS71:

Thanks for all the ifo.Yes he wants to be homeschooled which I'm glad don't want him in ps.I have tried to show him different places on web etc.I wanted him to get this year in and next year have him go to a tech school half day he wants to be a dieasel mechanic.I'm trying to have a good outlook I guess I'm just worried about meeting his portifilo and not pass.But thanks everyone.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Quoting mem82:

Quoting motheroffour186:

Quoting usmom3:

I do not know I did not even know their was a virtual frogs I have to look find where to get these frogs from any ideas??

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:03 PM

My kids, who are 6 and 11, recently did frog dissection at the local homeschooling class at the science museum and had a blast (they had a great time comparing what each of their frogs had eaten -- apparently beetles, mostly) so I wouldn't shy away from using a real frog.  IMO doing it "for real" is much better than virtual -- although in some cases the virtual makes more sense. 

I think you can order frogs from Carolina Supplies (http://www.carolina.com/).  I haven't order from them for a long time (I think it was amoebas the last time) since I've been relying more on the science museum classes, but they are very good for this sort of thing. 

Good luck!

Quoting motheroffour186:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting motheroffour186:

Quoting usmom3:

I do not know I did not even know their was a virtual frogs I have to look find where to get these frogs from any ideas??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN