Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Science?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM
  • 22 Replies

Poll

Question: Which of these science curricula do you prefer? Please feel free to elaborate below.

Options:

Noeo

Singapore/My Pals Are Here

Real Science for Kids

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey

Other (Please describe below)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 13

View Results

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Valentines tickers

Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I've never used any of those. I've bought different package curriculum. Last year was through Calvert. This year it was from Harcourt. I have no idea what I will do for my girls next year...still gathering information.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I'm going to use Van Cleave next year.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Oh wow. I have never used a program for science. I wouldn't know a good one from a bad one. lol  We just write our own and do a project with it if we want to.  

MamaDearie
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I thought the Van Cleave books were designed more to do experiments without really getting into the 'meat' of the science. Like a supplement but not a full science curriculum. Am I confusing it with something else? (that is totally possible)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Valentines tickers

Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I have used everyone except for singapore.  I would say out of all of them I prefer noeo.  Their textbook was just them picking out books that fits the topic.  I now do my own science lessons.  I purchase books from amazon and use library books.  I also find experiments to go along with what we are studying.  Making your own science lessons is not hard.  It is also a lot more fun and cheaper.  I paid around $100 for noeo and it was basically just doing things I could research on my own.  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Yes it's all about experiments, but once you have experiments you can create your own objectives and assessments from there.

Quoting MamaDearie:

I thought the Van Cleave books were designed more to do experiments without really getting into the 'meat' of the science. Like a supplement but not a full science curriculum. Am I confusing it with something else? (that is totally possible)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:04 AM
2 moms liked this

We've always just went with whatever was at hand.    I want to try switching to Apologia next year.

Anyone use this?

skeletor1017
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I did the first year mistake and purchased a textbook. We're using the Scott Pearson Science Diamond Edition. It is super boring because all the fun interactive online stuff is for B&M schools only and not for HSers. So, I'm trying to find a good science curriculum for next year.

Brooked18
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:24 PM
2 moms liked this
Apologia exploring creation
Brooked18
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
We are doing botany right they have textbooks and journals my ds 7 do we are using the junior Journal

Quoting KrissyKC:

We've always just went with whatever was at hand.    I want to try switching to Apologia next year.

Anyone use this?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN