Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

South Carolina Homeschool moms!

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

To All Home Schoolers

On Tuesday, February 5th, Representatives Brannan, Anthony, Horne and Jefferson introduced H3478 in the SC House of Representatives.
This bill would require ALL home schoolers to take state approved standardized tests, would require SCAIHS and all third option groups to report NAMES, not numbers, to the Department of Education each year and would eliminate ALL third option groups effective July 1, 2014.
The bill is currently in the House Committee on Education & Public Works. If this is a bill that you think should not be passed (!!) please call your representative and let him/her know. Please be polite and calm.
You can read the bill for yourself at www.scstatehouse.gov/sess120_2013-2014/bills/3478.htm.

If you have any questions, you may call or email the SCHEA office.

South Carolina Home Educators Association
PO Box 2707, Irmo, SC 29063
www.schea.net
schea1@schomeeducatorsassociation.org
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Holy Mother Juggs! Thank Goodness I don't live in South Carolina!  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:02 PM

But if I did.......

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:05 PM

This makes me sad.  I hope we move before this take affect, if it does.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I have a problem because they are using the homeschoolers to make their test scores look better.  The state has bad schools and a failing public school system.  They are doing a disservice to themselves and the students.   That is the only reason I have a problem with it.

They can not say my daughter passes or fails, but it is a hand in the basket.  They can not tell me what to do and what not to, but again, it opens the door for more regulations.

joyfullem
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:32 PM

bump

wunderwifey
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:11 PM
I haven't seen the official release, but a friend on FB said it never went to committee and won't. Pray this sticks!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
joyfullem
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:13 PM

What does that mean exactly?

Quoting wunderwifey:

I haven't seen the official release, but a friend on FB said it never went to committee and won't. Pray this sticks!

wunderwifey
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:10 PM
I finally found the official release. the info I got earlier isn't correct. It was never voted on by the House as a whole. The speaker deffered it to the committee. So right now its not up for vote. But, the committee on education is able to take another look at it and decide whether or not to reintroduce it later.

Quoting joyfullem:

Quoting wunderwifey:

joyfullem
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Do you have a link that I can read?

Quoting wunderwifey:

I finally found the official release. the info I got earlier isn't correct. It was never voted on by the House as a whole. The speaker deffered it to the committee. So right now its not up for vote. But, the committee on education is able to take another look at it and decide whether or not to reintroduce it later.

Quoting joyfullem:

Quoting wunderwifey:

wunderwifey
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:37 AM
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/billsearch.php

I'm not sure the link copied exactly. (I'm mobile so I can't make it clicky.) Its H3478. If the archive search engine comes up, make sure the year is 2013-2014.

Quoting joyfullem:

Do you have a link that I can read?

Quoting wunderwifey:

Quoting joyfullem:

Quoting wunderwifey:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN