Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Using the same curriculum for a different child?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:59 AM
  • 8 Replies
We are new to the homeschooling world (starting this fall) ill have one in 2nd grade and one in kindergarten (also a 2 year old) I'm wondering if I could save their curriculum (copy the pages instead of writing in the books) and use the 2nd graders books for the kindergarten when she gets to 2nd grade? Does that make any sense?!? LOL
Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:00 AM

You could.

It may or may not work. If your younger child is a completely different learner than your 2nd grader, you may have went to the trouble for nothing.

But if it works, it could pay off big time :)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:02 AM
I just didn't know if the books change yearly? Yes, I would make sure it's something she's ready for :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You could.

It may or may not work. If your younger child is a completely different learner than your 2nd grader, you may have went to the trouble for nothing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Both my girls have the same learning style so I will be using the same material. I am trying to go the rout of work sheets instead of work books. For some reason my girls have started to complain about the work books but not the work sheets...weird. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:19 AM

What do you mean "change yearly"? Like, new editions made yearly? If so, that sometimes happens, but when it does, the changes are often small.

And I didn't necessarily mean that she may not be ready for it, I meant that she may have a different learning style (i.e. "visual" -vs- "auditory" -vs- "kinesthetic", etc).

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

I just didn't know if the books change yearly? Yes, I would make sure it's something she's ready for :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You could.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I plan on doing that with my younger 2.  They are both fairly kinesthetic learners, so I won't lose much.  My oldest is more visual than the other 2, so his stuff doesn't translate well to them.  He actually likes worksheets.  The other two are all about bouncing, hopping, running, etc. 

Channell07
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I am doing that with my kiddos.. I ripped the pages out of our horizons math book, put them all in a binder and slip the page into a page protector for them to do the page with a dry erase marker

oredeb
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM

hi cowgirl, i use the same books for my kids, year after year, just sometimes you have to teach it to them differently! depending on what kind of learner they are!

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:42 AM
That was my plan! Lol

Thank you everyone! Yes, I didn't know if they came out with new books every year and if they did, didn't know how much of it changed. (Like I have the third edition from BJU, didn't know if next year there'd be a fourth etc)

Quoting Channell07:

I am doing that with my kiddos.. I ripped the pages out of our horizons math book, put them all in a binder and slip the page into a page protector for them to do the page with a dry erase marker

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)