Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

high school curriculum

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:24 AM
  • 5 Replies

My SIL wants to home school her 9th grader. She plans to pull him out on Monday. Does anyone have any advice on curriculum? I think she's looking for something on line. She lives in NY.

**if you have a curriculum that isn't on line that you can recommend please let me know too**

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
SusanTheWriter
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I'm hs'ing my 10th grader, but we live in IL where there is virtually no regulation, and we're not doing any online programs.

The one thing I genuinely recommend is taking some time to "deschool" before diving headfirst into a full-on curriculum. It takes time to get a child's head around the idea of homeschooling after so long in ps, and they're better off to take the time now instead of hitting roadblocks ahead. It's kind of scary for parents when they're faced with the prospect of hitting benchmarks and deadlines, but it's a necessary step, imo.

However, since I don't use a cyberschool, I don't know how they approach that philosophy. Good luck to her!

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:09 AM

What do you use for curriculum? I was just thinking that for her it would be easier to use something on line. He will be home by himself, she works so no one is home. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Well, there is always K12. My oldest is in 6th so I'm not too much help. LOL

SusanTheWriter
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:24 AM

We're pretty eclectic. I use different sources for different classes, and outsource Chemistry to a local homeschool mom in our co-op who teaches science classes. I'm home, though. If she's at work, then a cyber school might be her best option. Or they might consider doing some really non-traditional things - doing schoolwork in the evenings when she's home or doing more unschooling.

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:26 PM

She's in Ny and they don't offer the online school for Ny residents. I don't understand why they can't do the free tuition for Ny residents! She is expecting to have to pay for the tuition but she wants to make sure that the online school she chooses is a good one to go through.

Quoting mem82:

Well, there is always K12. My oldest is in 6th so I'm not too much help. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN