Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

For those in Connecticut

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:16 PM
  • 15 Replies

http://christiannews.net/2013/02/06/proposed-connecticut-bill-mandates-mental-health-assessments-for-homeschooled-children/

I can't figure out how to make it clicky without it coming back to editing the post. Sorry :(

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:45 PM

http://homeedmag.com/HEM/221/jftch.php

This article explains my point of view on screening for mental health.  Basically if they are using the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, it can be used to show almost anyone has a "mental illness."  All of these "mental illnesses" CAN be grounds to disallow homeschooling or in worst case senarios to remove the child from the home.  This is one slippery slope that I think holds water.  People of Conn.  should take notice!

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I went to school for Marriage and Family Therapy and the DSM was an entire semester. It is time consuming to actually do it correctly and honestly. Most of the Drs. in CT (and i used to live there and worked with many drs) do not have the time for their current caseload let alone adding more. Also some of them should be evaulated themselves for disorders.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Quick question in no way meant to be offensive.

I can't find a related article not linked to an unbiased christian website. Can anyone help with that?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I saw this on Facebook and just thought I would share for those up in CT. Didn't mean to offend anyone with a Christian article.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I can't find a related article not linked to an unbiased christian website. Can anyone help with that?

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:04 PM

No! No offense at all! I'm Christian - I just hesitate to share in another group (for opinions) when I can only find anything related on biased Christian websites, kwim? They WILL ask for another source, lol.

Quoting mamamedic69:

I saw this on Facebook and just thought I would share for those up in CT. Didn't mean to offend anyone with a Christian article.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

This one is from the Home Education Magazine:

http://homeedmag.com/newscomm/laws/connecticut_-_mental_health_assessments_for_homeschooled_children/

This is the "heads up" from the hslda:

http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/ct/201202040.asp

They are the only others I found.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Oh, ok. I used to people coming down on me for posting Christian things and non Christian things!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

No! No offense at all! I'm Christian - I just hesitate to share in another group (for opinions) when I can only find anything related on biased Christian websites, kwim? They WILL ask for another source, lol.

Quoting mamamedic69:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM

And here is the proposed bill from the Conn website:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/TOB/S/2013SB-00374-R00-SB.htm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN