Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

http://christiannews.net/2013/02/06/proposed-connecticut-bill-mandates-mental-health-assessments-for-homeschooled-children/

I can't figure out how to make it clicky without it coming back to editing the post. Sorry :(

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Replies (11-15):
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM

This is just another excuse for the government to try to control homeschoolers! Just like the shootings are used as yet more excuses to take guns away from law abiding citizens (because we all know that the criminals aren't going to comply to give up their guns just because the government makes it a law)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Read the bill, ladies. It's for public school kids, too. I don't agree with it but it's not an attack on just homeschooling.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Quoting mem82:

Read the bill, ladies. It's for public school kids, too. I don't agree with it but it's not an attack on just homeschooling.

You're right it isn't just an attack on hs.  But, it could definately be a tool to limit the rights of homeschooling families.  The manual typically used to determine and label mental health stability is so vague in many places that many people who are not a mental health risk can be diagnosed with one.  When someone is diagnosed with mental health issues, many states ask for many follow-ups and that those follow ups be submitted with your homeschooling paperwork.  If it's a state run thing, it may mean that a state repesentative will do the "testing."  I know around here the guys who look over our portfolios are looking for ways of denying our homeschooling.  This would just be one more thing to scrutinize.

Thankfully PA hasn't brought this up.  But I am against it.  And I think everyone should take a good look at it.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I guess I feel we should be more concerned with the law in general than what it means for us as homeschoolers.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mem82:

You're right it isn't just an attack on hs.  But, it could definately be a tool to limit the rights of homeschooling families.  The manual typically used to determine and label mental health stability is so vague in many places that many people who are not a mental health risk can be diagnosed with one.  When someone is diagnosed with mental health issues, many states ask for many follow-ups and that those follow ups be submitted with your homeschooling paperwork.  If it's a state run thing, it may mean that a state repesentative will do the "testing."  I know around here the guys who look over our portfolios are looking for ways of denying our homeschooling.  This would just be one more thing to scrutinize.

Thankfully PA hasn't brought this up.  But I am against it.  And I think everyone should take a good look at it.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, yeah, I disagree with the whole bill.  I just see a lot of excess problems for hsers in it. 

Quoting mem82:

I guess I feel we should be more concerned with the law in general than what it means for us as homeschoolers.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mem82:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN