Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

writing

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:35 PM
  • 6 Replies

my child is a preschooler.I have been doing ABC mouse.He will be in kindegarden next year.I have already started tring to teach him to write his name but I am having a hard time with it.He does everythingelse with no problem. If I move out of state I may let him go to public school for a year or so.The place I may move to has good schools and have police officers in the schools..They do not seem to have bullying problem.If I do not move I will be home school and worried about teaching him how to write.Yesterday my neice child school had three high school students bust windows and said they put bombs in every school. So thekids had to go to the woods with teachers and my neice seen helicopters over head going to school and she called and she was so sick at her stomache but they got theekids out no bombs andarrested the three students. Today a diffrent nephew school is on lock down because student brought gun and threathen to shoot up school..Have not heard the out come on this yet..In the past my daughter had a classmate to hold them hostage and last year the school my son would be going to had bomb threat..

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Writing is really hard for a lot of kids. Skip the pen and pencil for writing now. Use shaving cream and fingers on a cookie sheet. Make cookie dough and spell out his name, then bake it. Use magnetic letters on the refridgerator or fat side walk chalk. 8)

Some kids need to stregthen their hands to write or improve their coordination.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Have him write in the dirt with a stick (much more fun then paper & pencil). Hand writing is not that important at that age & it is a skill that comes with time, just make it as fun as possible using different tools & materials.

oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM

teach him without teaching him!!! sneak it up on him!!hahahaha

like the other suggest write in sand, shaving cream, hammer nails into wood, use chalk, markers, air writing, do it on large paper so you can lay down on the floor and practice on the paper,color pages,  use paint brushes, all this will help with his motor movement, help him get more control with hands and fingers,  and its ok if he cant do it now, hes only in preschool!! not all kids that age are ready to practise handwriting ! have some fun with it!

oh yea i just remembers the ap i have! for the ipad if you have one, it might make it a bit funner and this ap teaches the letter sounds while teaching how to write the letters! and the child traces the letter right on the ipad! i teach a 5 year old and a 3 yr old with it! they love it! the 3 yr old does it cuz sister does it!but hey i betchya he picks up some sounds! called abc lite or pocket..cslite found it on itunes 

kittyfaery
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Making his name in play dough letters really helped my son. We also bought the workbook and chalkboard from handwriting without tears.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paris2lmp
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:31 AM

The other moms have great suggestions!  I would follow those.  Looking back at my oldest sons kindergarten year here is what I would NOT do:  FORCE the issue.  My son went to a public school and his teacher decided he was behind on his writing skills.  She made him sit in the back of the class by himself and write his name over and over and over again.  Now he is in 2nd grade and he STILL hates writting, and I really believe that is part of the reason why!

My youngest son LOVES writting, but his ps teacher made it fun for them with journal entries and art projects etc.  I think that that is the biggest thing.  Don't make it a chore!

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:01 PM

My dd had a lot of difficulty with coloring and writing. I found she was able to do the wipe-off books and marker boards more easily. Look at walmart for a beginner handwriting wipe-off book. Get odor-free/lower odor markers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)