Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

At my wits end!!

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:12 PM
  • 12 Replies
I am trying everything I can to get my son excited to homeschool.
For a while it was going ok. He really liked time4learning. But the last few weeks we have hardly done any school work. He will burst into tears. Run and hide or stuff his head in his shirt and ignore me.

I have done my best to make it fun or interesting and I try showing TV shows and exploring outside and different locations. He hates it all! He is 6 nearly 7 by the way. I finally got so frustrated that I started soaking him when he refuses to listen and do any work.

We have to spank him to even get him to read a simple book. He is so far behind in reading and math and I'm nervous about that. I just don't know any more! !!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:18 PM

When was the last time you took a family break?  Or let him do something he is interested in?  Sometimes running around and screaming can help to.  

How do you know he is behind?  How does he learn best?  Are you trying to do a lot of work at times he is tired, hungry, or antsy?

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Punishing a child over learning is only going to make him hate you & think of learning as a punishment & something to not ever want to do.

Have you always homeschooled or did he go to public or privet school first? That is a big indicator of what might be wrong if you are expecting him to transition from one to the other with out some time to adjust to how different one is from the other.  

Take a break from anything school related, take some trips to the park , museums or the zoo, read books to him , do arts & crafts, cook , bake, bond with him, learn how he learns & then take it easy back in to structured learning.

BraydensMama163
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:27 PM
He started off in private k3 and k4 then in public school for k5 and the start of 1st grade.

He was diagnosed with ADHD combined type and ODD last year. I know he is behind because he's still stuck in addition. Simple problems. He can't spell very well and he hates reading now.

U feel bad about always taking breaks we only school maybe once a week at this point and it really worries me. The boy is a sponge he can learn anything any way you want he just wont!

Quoting usmom3:

Punishing a child over learning is only going to make him hate you & think of learning as a punishment & something to not ever want to do.

Have you always homeschooled or did he go to public or privet school first? That is a big indicator of what might be wrong if you are expecting him to transition from one to the other with out some time to adjust to how different one is from the other.  

Take a break from anything school related, take some trips to the park , museums or the zoo, read books to him , do arts & crafts, cook , bake, bond with him, learn how he learns & then take it easy back in to structured learning.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BraydensMama163
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM
We hardly ever do school work and we actually spent the whole day outside yesterday. We ran and rode our bikes. We learned some new games. He just gives me so much hell when it comes time to learn

Quoting Silverkitty:

When was the last time you took a family break?  Or let him do something he is interested in?  Sometimes running around and screaming can help to.  

How do you know he is behind?  How does he learn best?  Are you trying to do a lot of work at times he is tired, hungry, or antsy?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Maybe you should consider unschooling for a while. If he learns so well then he will learn beautiful with out a curriculum.

My sons are Autistic & we unschool, it is the best thing for them because they can learn the way that feels right for each of them. We also unschool our daughter that is neurotypical & she loves being in control of what & when she learns.

Just because he is behind now doesn't mean he will be behind forever, think of learning like growing, sometimes it seams as though a child will never get taller & then the next thing you know they have jumped up 3 pant sizes, learning is a lot like that.

Quoting BraydensMama163:

He started off in private k3 and k4 then in public school for k5 and the start of 1st grade.

He was diagnosed with ADHD combined type and ODD last year. I know he is behind because he's still stuck in addition. Simple problems. He can't spell very well and he hates reading now.

U feel bad about always taking breaks we only school maybe once a week at this point and it really worries me. The boy is a sponge he can learn anything any way you want he just wont!

Quoting usmom3:

BraydensMama163
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Thanks. I will look into it.

Quoting usmom3:

Maybe you should consider unschooling for a while. If he learns so well then he will learn beautiful with out a curriculum.

My sons are Autistic & we unschool, it is the best thing for them because they can learn the way that feels right for each of them. We also unschool our daughter that is neurotypical & she loves being in control of what & when she learns.

Just because he is behind now doesn't mean he will be behind forever, think of learning like growing, sometimes it seams as though a child will never get taller & then the next thing you know they have jumped up 3 pant sizes, learning is a lot like that.

Quoting BraydensMama163:

Quoting usmom3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:07 PM

*hugs* my son was like that at his age. it was hard but we made it through. The carrot and stick approach worked well. 8)

BraydensMama163
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:11 PM
What the world is that lol

Quoting mem82:

*hugs* my son was like that at his age. it was hard but we made it through. The carrot and stick approach worked well. 8)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I tutor many children who are diagnosed with ADHD.  There are many conditions that can cause or mimic ADHD, and unfortunately treating symptoms rather than causes is the norm. 

Conditions That Can Cause Or Mimic Learning Disabilities

I do not know your son well enough to determine if he is a very active hands on learner or not.  But the Conventional Method used at schools does more harm than good for active hands on learners.  If the follwoing video describes your son, throw that method out the window, and use more hands on type of teaching (whole brain teaching). 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Some homeschool parents set up rules like... "No video games until school work is done."   Or something similar.

Have you asked HIM why he is running away and crying?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN