Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I am trying everything I can to get my son excited to homeschool.
For a while it was going ok. He really liked time4learning. But the last few weeks we have hardly done any school work. He will burst into tears. Run and hide or stuff his head in his shirt and ignore me.

I have done my best to make it fun or interesting and I try showing TV shows and exploring outside and different locations. He hates it all! He is 6 nearly 7 by the way. I finally got so frustrated that I started soaking him when he refuses to listen and do any work.

We have to spank him to even get him to read a simple book. He is so far behind in reading and math and I'm nervous about that. I just don't know any more! !!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Replies (11-12):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Well, it started with me organizing myself and setting the house on a schedule. Come hell or high water, we started to follow the breakfast / early day schedule. I'm not talking so much about a school schedule, just us getting up at the same time, eating a healthy breakfast (we cut out cereal and it helps, oddly) and chore time. I also worked on knowing exactly what I wanted to do with Cole that day. If I had to look for the book, the scissors, the anything, it's like he would decide we just weren't doing school that day. UGH!

Now for the carrot and stick approach. I choose something he could FOR SURE DO. For him, it was count to ten because he refused to count higher than that when he was feeling...froggy. LOL I told him. Here is our worksheet for today. It's about counting to ten. We are going to do this without a fuss today. If you do it without fussing, I will let you pick snack (a big deal here) This was the carrot. If you CHOOSE not to do it without a fuss, you will get no TV at all, today. No second chances. (That would be the stick)

I would love to say that this worked from day one. It didn't. LOL It worked on day 3 and losing TV, Video Games and Legos. The thing is I stopped yelling or fighting. I would give him sufficient help, but I refused to give him the answers or to get angry. If he wasn't working on it or just *truly* messing around, I would say, "Okay, you CHOSE to not participate today. No TV, no Video games, and as I told you earlier, your Legos."

I started with just doing one thing a day, then two, with a break. Then a bit more. He still needs lots of breaks and still needs a lot of activity, but he is making progress at long last. He, since, we stick to the same subjects and schedule, knows how much longer until he is done for the day.

It's hard but since I started it this year. and he went from not reading anything to Level 2 readers (with some help). He is passing where his age group is in Math when last year, I wasn't even sure if he could count to 100.

About once or twice a month, he acts up and I just stay calm and firm. If our schedule gets thrown off, though, forget it.

Quoting BraydensMama163:

What the world is that lol

Quoting mem82:

*hugs* my son was like that at his age. it was hard but we made it through. The carrot and stick approach worked well. 8)

oredeb
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:40 PM

hmmm maybe its the way your teaching him braydonsmom? having the adhd and odd there might be another way to go about it, do some research, find out his learning style(if you havent already) maybe what usmom suggested would be good unschooling him for a bit? what does he want to learn about,  kids go about learning in their own ways, and its ok if he doesnt keep up or if he goes ahead of what 7 yr olds are suppose to know! dont put him in a box with all 7 yr olds! i understand your having a hard time, if this is something your really want to do for your son, keep moving on, learn about adhd and odd, how to teach a child that has it!(you'll be able to help someone else) one day at a time, its so worth it when they graduate!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)