Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Life lessons instead of worksheets

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:30 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this
When I first started homeschooling, I separated home and school. Meaning I didn't grasp the simple fact that learning took place 24/7. Cooking, counting shells we collected at the beach and looking up what they were called out of curiosity. Adding and subtracting using the snack we are eating, reading street signs as we drive, or navigating the zoo map. Now I look at everything we do as a learning opportunity and besides handwriting, we don't even use a curriculum for kindergarten now and only partly for first grade. What is an example of how you have taught a school lesson through every day life activities instead of a worksheet?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this

We do a lot of baking. 8)

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

We never use worksheets or text books.

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:37 AM

I love what you said 1 starangel..   I don't eliminate workbooks only because I want them to be familiar with them.  But when you home school, the whole world is your classroom

Here are some examples of what I use

Lesson Plans That Motivate

How To Teach Sequencing

leighp1
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:44 AM

This week we have done hiking, playground playing (while there they fed the sea gulls, found 4 leaf clovers and wrote in the sand), played Scrabble (finding this is a FANTASTIC way to teach new words.  I let her use the computer dictionary.com to look to see if she has a word, she has to tell me what it means and if she understands what it means.  She found a new word to call her sister instead of nerd.  LOL) and UNO (our UNO cards have where you have to swap hands and that shows her there are consquences for everything, meaning if you make mom draw a million cards, I am swapping with you!!!).  Today we are doing another hike.  We take our cameras and take many many pictures and talk about everything we see.  Next week we are looking at the pictures of the liche and moss and going to find their names.  (She came up with that idea!!)  Yep, the whole world is a school room.  I am just beginning to learn that.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this

We have done many things.  When my kids were young they would go outside and collect eggs.  I had a running tally to keep track of our production.  My kids would collect them and add the number and come up with the new total.  I also give the shopping list to my son and he tells me the next thing we need to get.  One time it backfired though.  We were in the store and my son asked me very loudly what Pot was.  Since then I have learned to write out potatoes on my lists. LOL  I have taught so many other ways as well.   We have learned many different things while cooking together even geography and customs.  I ask them questions all the time.  Awhile back we were studying Fibonacci numbers.  My boys had a running tally on the fridge.  They turned it into their own competitive game of who could find the most Fibonacci numbers.  Boys love their competitions.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I forgot another.  My son and I have a chess date this morning.  My son is going to give me another lesson in Chess.  Another great way to learn some new things.

leighp1
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:19 AM
2 moms liked this

LOL  Now that is funny.  Though we have done the reading of the shopping lists and comparing prices and weight, etc.  I am so going to remember the POT thing.

Quoting jen2150:

One time it backfired though.  We were in the store and my son asked me very loudly what Pot was.  Since then I have learned to write out potatoes on my lists. LOL 

oredeb
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

we do it all the time!

math-cooking, measurement, mixing(p.E.), adjusting measurements etc, growing seedlings, figuring out how much we need to plant so we can perserve the surplus, make menus, grocery shop, make a list for groceries, figuring how much potting soil we need to start our seeds, hunting- planning how much food we need, how to use a scale for measuring ingred for soap, salves etc

keeping track of their money- math

Reading-reading instruction manuals,  how to do things, recipes, signs as we drive, research on everything we do, when my dh wants to know something he asks one of the kids to do some research on it,

writing- writing letters to friends, thank you cards, letters to the editor, ads, journals, art projects, menus, lists, recipes,

geography/history- using a map to find direction on trips, learning about a vacation place before we go, doing a genelogy study, finding out about the area we live in, about the state, best places to pan for gold, go fishing, clamming beds,

science- growing a garden, mowing the lawn, mixing our dirt for garden, researching how to raise chickens, ducks,  pigs, and goats, nature walks, figuring out what kinda bug is eating the vegetables and a safe walk to get rid of it! hunting- how to clean an animal, researching how to find the animal, what bait to use for fishing, where the fish are, learning what types of food there is in the woods, how to prepare it, what its good for, making soap and medicenes

health- learning to brush teeth, take a bath, clean a bathroom, keep room picked up, chores, clean  the animal pens, feed the animals,

those are a few things that we do for teaching school lessons with everyday life and not a worksheet!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM

ahahahahahaha -- I sooo thank you for sharing that moment. I was in need of some lightened-upness(made up word!) at this time.  :)  

Quoting leighp1:

LOL  Now that is funny.  Though we have done the reading of the shopping lists and comparing prices and weight, etc.  I am so going to remember the POT thing.

Quoting jen2150:

One time it backfired though.  We were in the store and my son asked me very loudly what Pot was.  Since then I have learned to write out potatoes on my lists. LOL 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Right now my oldest boys are learning several things because of doing a project that I got them into from a report I assigned them almost a month ago now.  lol  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN