Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I have to get all curricula approved!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:16 AM
  • 24 Replies
I go through the state of AK for funding to help with buying curriculum for my kids well this year they are changing the rules. All curriculum has to be approved by the BOE before we can use it even if we pay out of pocket for them, if they disapprove of it then they don't get credit for it. To me this is to invasive for me but right now I am stuck till the new year begins in July. So I am on the fence as to staying or leaving. By the way the curriculum I have picked is not on their list so we would have to go before the board and get approved. So what do you think and what would you do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:53 AM

When did that pass?  I would definitely not be thrilled with that!  Several of the more restrictive states do have requirements like that though, so you'll have to weigh your options and see what you can and want to do about it.

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:32 AM
4 moms liked this

I would contact your State Home School Association, and the Home School Legal Defense Association to join forces and fight this.  It is forcing the same problems that destroyed our public school system on home educators. 

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Can you refuse funding and use your own?
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:38 AM
This?

Quoting BramblePatch:

Can you refuse funding and use your own?
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:17 AM
2 moms liked this
If you are taking their funding. You live by their rules. Plain and simple.

Go independent and you don't have to report to anyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM

hi crystal

agree with jinx, simple

but can you say your using one thing and really use something else?? i guess thats lie about what your using? well maybe not you'd probably get punished for that big time!

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this
I would do what pp have said. Refuse the state funding. Then you wouldn't have to worry about it.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't want anyone to say I'm being mean but blunt.

We use a state funded homeschool charter at my husband's request. In exchange for the funding, I have requirements that must be met. I do a monthly report and the annual State testing. While minimal, its a trade~off I have to accept. However, it was the only way DH would go for homeschooling.

In 5 yrs with them, I have only had one request denied because it was considered Christian curriculum. If I teach religous ed I do it on my own and must purchase it myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Even if you didn't get into trouble, I don't think that would be an example I'd want to set...

Quoting oredeb:

hi crystal

agree with jinx, simple

but can you say your using one thing and really use something else?? i guess thats lie about what your using? well maybe not you'd probably get punished for that big time!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
This

Quoting TigerofMu:

Even if you didn't get into trouble, I don't think that would be an example I'd want to set...

Quoting oredeb:

hi crystal

agree with jinx, simple

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)